Peanut Brittle

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Ok I messed up my peanut brittle. Turned to be more like caramel with peanuts. :D
Even thought it is messed up it is still good. Know a good caramel recipe now. :lol2:

I'm not really good at making candy, so what did I do wrong? I did use a candy thermometer, but now I think it is off. :help:

No didn't add baking soda. My recipe didn't call for it.
Will use this recipe for the Turtles I plan to make. (Turtles are pecans, caramel and chocolate.)

I luv herfrds":3eaoqunt said:
No didn't add baking soda. My recipe didn't call for it.
Will use this recipe for the Turtles I plan to make. (Turtles are pecans, caramel and chocolate.)

This is what I think of as peanut brittle. Post up your version, sounds like it might be pretty good too.

Mom's Best Peanut Brittle (Not my Mom's, couldn't find hers)
Original recipe yield 1 pound
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Best- ... etail.aspx
SUBMITTED BY: Amanda PHOTO BY: Amy

"This is a wonderful peanut brittle that is easy to make and wows everyone! Have all the ingredients for this recipe measured out and ready. This recipe requires that you react quickly. You do not have time to measure ingredients in between steps."

INGREDIENTS
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 cup peanuts
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS
Grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside.
In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts. Set candy thermometer in place, and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.
Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter or margarine and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet. With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14x12 inches; cool. Snap candy into pieces.

1 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. water
1 c. butter
1 c. raw peanuts

Mix all ingredients except peanuts; cook until it forms a soft ball. Add peanuts; cook until it boils hard. Pour into a buttered shallow pan.
I cooked it til it read hard ball on my thermometer.
Pretty good stuff. Not hard as a rock.

I luv herfrds":391yjsll said:
I did use a candy thermometer, but now I think it is off. :help:

Sounds like you should have double checked your candy stage with a glass of cold water!

Want a recipe that's faster and still great?

1.5 cups of raw, shelled Virginia peanuts (leave the skins on)
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix the peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt together in a microwave-safe casserole dish until well mixed
Cook in a microwave on high for 4 minutes; open and stir the mix well; then cook on high for another 4 minutes
Open, stir in the butter and vanilla, then microwave on high for a further 2 minutes
Rremove from the microwave, open the dish, add the baking soda and stir quickly until the mix is light and foamy
Immediately pour the mixture onto a lightly-greased baking sheet, spreading it out thinly.
Allow the mix to cool - then break it into small pieces and store in an airtight container.

The trick to making thin, tender peanut brittle is to keep the baking sheet(s) you use warm. I recommend heating them in a conventional oven at around 200 degrees F before you spread the peanut brittle mix.

Latest posts