Pb angus 30 month old bull weight

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
what should a 30 month old angus grass fed bull weigh roughly . 1200 lbs , 1500 lbs , somewhere in between . What does your bull weigh at 30 months or what do you expect him to weigh at 30 months ?

At that age, your knocking on the door of its mature weight. I guess it would depend on the frame of the animal at that point. I've never used a bull, that wasn't in the ton range for a mature weight. Do most angus bulls not hit that? I don't use angus.

In my humble opinion an Angus bull that should have been made into a bull in the first place, should weigh at least 1800 lbs. at 30 months. That's assuming he hasn't been over worked and taken proper care of. B&G

I like bigger type cattle, ive never sold a mature bull under 2200. 15 to 18 at 30months id think is a lot light.

BobbyLummus1":1c0gcffa said:
what should a 30 month old angus grass fed bull weigh roughly . 1200 lbs , 1500 lbs , somewhere in between . What does your bull weigh at 30 months or what do you expect him to weigh at 30 months ?
Alright, a great question! :clap: Some missed the clue: grassfed. If you are keeping records and measurements you can track grassfed bulls and understand that their growth curve and pattern is nothing like feed test or grain based bulls. What we see is WW FSs are usually at least one FS bigger than yearling heights indicate. And these bull will not top out on weight until 4 or 5 YO.

On grass and minerals, a 30 month old bull can weigh 1400 to 1500 pounds and be the breedingest bull you ever had because he is a lean, mean breeding machine and has not had additional fat and the yo-yo of high intake and crash in the pasture. An Angus bull, here on a fescue based program, will generally max out around 1800 and still go to customers' and raise high 5's and 6 weight calves. The icing on the cake: bull development and health that translates to longevity. We have a lot of folks who buy on my word and name the bull Little ___ but in time realize that I told the truth; Repeat buyers. I don't want a bull to brag on his weight. I want a bull that tells of his goodness with his calves.

If I wanted commercial type carcass data I would feed steers like most bull test stations feed the bulls. Ever wonder why fat boys have health problems as men? Ever wonder why fat men have leg and foot problems? I think that the average bull test, the ones that are left, have run their course. What bulls ever won the tests and then went on to be great? Very, very few. Feed out sibs as steers and let 'em go. And test station results sure doesn't help to pick fertile female producers.

ebenezer - your comment makes me feel a little better . I purchased a young bull which I assumed was a long yearling . After looking over his semen test I see where it said he was 30 months . He weighed in at closer to 1350 lbs but has/had been working too . I'll try and get some pics . His body condition is good

I have an Angus bull who is 26-27 months old. I would guess him at 1,700 today. He worked all last summer as a yearling (May to mid July cleaning up 20 heifers, Mid July to early October with 25 cows). Since then nothing but grass hay.

We pulled our herd bulls on Tuesday and Wednesday they have been on Cows since January. The oldest bull is 31/2 years old he weighed 2150. The 21/2 year old bull weighed 1580 now that he is not chasing the cows he will start gaining some weight. I would imagine he will be in the 2000 weight range by this time next year.

gizmom

Latest posts