Pays to Believe 1/2 Simmental heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
Our blue roan cow blessed us with this little Pays to Believe heifer last week. She has a little blue roan on her in a few spots. I guess Pays to Believe must carry that gene too.

jd720":31es9vsg said:
Our blue roan cow blessed us with this little Pays to Believe heifer last week. She has a little blue roan on her in a few spots. I guess Pays to Believe must carry that gene too.

You're gonna have to share as that one grows.. Already looks like she will be a nice heifer

Awesome looking calf!!! Love the color.
I don't see how there could be any "roan" gene in PTB, but I would not complain if my PTB came out with some roan!!!
Is that a recessive gene? I never would get any.

That old cow has had several good heifers over the years. We have 3 daughters in production plus last years Optimizer heifer we will breed this fall and will likely keep this one. She had a heifer that looked very similar 3 yrs. ago by Card Uproar and it had the blue roan.

No roan gene in PTB. He's solid black; if he had it, he would be blue roan; at most, PTB could carry the spotting gene(I'm not saying he does).
The roan in this calf came from its roan dam. It's simple Genetics 101

I may be confused but I thought Pays to Believe would have to carry the spotting gene or something else besides black for the roan to come out at all. One thing I do know is that cow will be bred back the same way this year and see what next year brings I really pleased with this calf.

The roaning gene is an odd one. Technically a recessive trait but is expressed differently based on whether or not the animal is heterozygous or homozygous.
No roaning gene = solid color
One roaning gene (hetero) = roan
Two roaning genes (homo) = white

If the cow is a roan she is heterozygous and her calves have a 50:50 chance of being roan as long as the sire does not carry the gene. Spotting genes will not affect the expression.

Homo Black has nothing to do with it. And, PTB is Homo Black.
Spotting gene has nothing to do with it.
redcow - that is a great explanation. thank you. I had heard that if you used a white shortie bull, you were guaranteed a roan. Now I understand the genetics - it is dominant. Just need to "tuck that info away" and REMEMBER IT!!!
I am amazed that the Simmental breed does not have a 1/2 blood or even a 3/4 blood roan bull out there pushing semen???

Jeanne
You can be the trendsetter! Breed some of your cows to that HP Manimal bull...you'll get roans... and it appears that you don't get any pushback on color, unlike some of us...who are at the mercy of buyers who look for ANY reason(color, chrome,etc.) to dock us on sale price

Very tempting - but I don't venture into the percentage cattle now. I will occasionally use a 3/4 bull on my PB's, but the offspring is considered a PB. I did look up that bull and he looks awesome. Hmmm, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
OK, back on the genetics. Does a WHITE shorthorn carry any red or black gene? I realize he "shouldn't" carry a black gene - but some of these breed genes don't follow the rules. But, what about the red gene?

Lol. Should a proofread that roaming thing, eh?

As I understand it, that's correct...but degree of roaning is variable.
I've been told that some SH cattle classified as Red are actually Roan...but their roaning is limited to a scattered white hair here and there...more or less unnoticed until they produce an unexpected roan calf...

Latest posts