Pawpaw trees

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Where do pawpaw trees grow? We have a lot of them here and the fruit is ripe. Smells and taste great. google pawpaw fruit to learn about them if you don't have them.

There's a sort of dwarf pawpaw that grows here natively (maybe gets 2 feet tall) that I've never seen fruit on. I ordered one of the fruiting kind like the kind you're probably referring to from a nursery in Tennessee about 8 or 9 years ago. It's gotten up to about three feet tall and has never fruited. In summary I would say they don't do so well here.

We have several here. They're ripe now but with Herbicides sprayed on old fencerows, there's less and less of them to be found in the last few years.Need a recipe for PawPaw mash. :D

Most are 15 to 20 ft tall. Seem to like rich soil in the edge of the shade. Have some in the fence rows but most along the edge of the woods. Does better on north slope. Maybe that is the problem, you don't have any slope. :lol:

If I could figure out how I would send you some. They turn to mush in about two days if you package them. Don't ask how I know this. Sure can't make wine with them either.
I can send you some seed if you want to try it.

I remember hearing my grandparents talk about them but after googleing it I don't think I've ever seen one around here. That means they're probably everywhere.

kenny thomas":ooe1tn95 said:
If I could figure out how I would send you some. They turn to mush in about two days if you package them. Don't ask how I know this. Sure can't make wine with them either.
I can send you some seed if you want to try it.

Thanks for the offer KT, I think I'll just enrich the soil on my pawpaw tree that came from Tennessee with some cow lot compost and some horse lot compost and see if I can't get it to doing better.

Here around home i have seen them 10 to 12 feet tall. Get up on the mountian and they will be 3or 4 feet tall. Grow on north slopes common to find them and ginseng together.

I planted a couple of them in the Mojave Desert, don;t recall if they both had fruit but one of them did after the first year it was planted. Not sure if it was North American Pawpaw or the tropical variety.

We have pawpaw bushes (trees) along the creek and river, up the bluffs from them and in the bottoms in the timber. There are thousands of them and they are up to 30 feet tall. Only a fraction of them produce pawpaws in any given year. Some years, you can pick many, many 5 gallon buckets full, other years you are lucky to get one 5 gallon bucket full out of all the trees. The biggest fruits in a good year are 6 inches long and 2 inches in diameter---most of the fruits are 2-3 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. They seem to prefer the rich dirt. We have a few on the ridges, but I have never seen a pawpaw on any of them. I love to eat them when they get ripe on the tree, but they don't keep over a couple of days before they turn black.

Looked them up--You need 2 of them for cross pollenation--Sound like the best ones taste pretty good

Latest posts