Patty ain't scared

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
The wife took the dogs for a walk up the hill. Coming back down they got to the spring. The dogs found a skunk at the spring. Patty ain't scared of some stinky old skunk. Try to spray me and I will show you who is boss. The wife had to give both dogs a bath. Patty ain't scared of water either. Rufus on the other hand is like giving a 5 year old boy a bath. That was last night. Today..... it is a good thing they are both outside dogs. It might take a day or two for them to air out.

our little house dog got sprayed several years ago, so staying outside was not an option for her. wife tried as many scented bath products and internet cures she could find. house just smelt bad for a few days. at least we think she learned her lesson and was a one and done thing. hope I didn't just ginks myself.

Here's the easiest, quickest and least expensive solution to skunk spray. It was developed by a vet years ago. It does not stay stable on the shelf very long so it wasn't marketable. He put it out for every one to use,

• ¼ cup of baking soda
  • 1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow
  • 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution
  • Mix in a bucket and use immediately
  • Work the foaming mixture well into the coat
  • Leave on for five minutes
  • Rinse with warm water
  • Follow with dog shampoo if desired

The quicker you can get the dog in the tub the better the result since the oil hasn't saturated into the hair yet.

Our Heeler ain't afraid of skunks either, but we are afraid of her not being afraid, because she is is both an outside and inside dog. She averages a couple impromptu baths a year.

The old dog got it good several years ago. I bought a commercial skunk shampoo that worked good. There was still enough left for last night. It is Natures Miracle. You leave it set for about 5 minutes and rinse it out with a dog shampoo. WD40 also works as it cuts the oil which is what the spray is based with.

Here's the easiest, quickest and least expensive solution to skunk spray. It was developed by a vet years ago. It does not stay stable on the shelf very long so it wasn't marketable. He put it out for every one to use,

• ¼ cup of baking soda
  • 1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow
  • 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution
  • Mix in a bucket and use immediately
  • Work the foaming mixture well into the coat
  • Leave on for five minutes
  • Rinse with warm water
  • Follow with dog shampoo if desired

The quicker you can get the dog in the tub the better the result since the oil hasn't saturated into the hair yet.
Does the peroxide do anything to the dog's coat? I knew a kid once that tried to bleach his air that way and it turned it green. :)

I've used it several times and never had the dog hair turn green! I think the hydrogen peroxide opens up the hair follicle to let the dish soap be more effective.

Latest posts