Pathfinder Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

For an Angus cow to reach Pathfinder status they have to meet the following:

The program identifies Pathfinder Cows in herds actively involved in AHIR. First, the female must produce her first calf near the herd's average age for first calving. More specifically, the maximum age accepted for first calving of a Pathfinder Cow is the within-herd average for first calving plus 30 days. The within-herd average is determined separately for each herd on AHIR.

As a second criteria, the Pathfinder Cow must maintain a regular calving interval. The maximum calving interval is:

365 Days plus ( 30 Days / Number of Calving Intervals )
Next, to qualify initially, her first three calves must post a minimum average progeny weaning weight ratio of 105. Should she fail to do this on her first three calves, she can qualify later by achieving an average progeny weaning weight ratio of 105, provided she meets the other requirements. A minimum of 5 herdmates or contemporaries of the same sex must be evaluated together each year to determine the weight ratio. Additionally, her calves must be sired by registered Angus bulls. To continue to qualify each consecutive year, the cow must produce regularly and wean a calf that helps maintain the average weaning ratio of 105 or above. It is pointed out that once a cow is designated a Pathfinder, she is always a Pathfinder, even though she might not qualify for listing each year.

One hiccup along the way will. Knock a cow out of contention for Pathfinder. I am extremely happy when we have one make Pafinder,it tells me we are on doing something right as far a management and genetics.

Gizmom

Yes a in herd ratio of 105 is required on three consecutive calves plus they have to do it in the designated time frame. We breed our heifers at 14 to 15 months of age so a Pathfinder in our herd has to have her first calf at 2 years of age wean it with a ratio of 105 the breed back and do it again for two more calving seasons. I have one cow 1046 that I keep thinking will make it but something always happens she weaned her first calf at 109, then her 2nd weaned at 96 her third at 115. Her forth calf looked great then got sick we had to treat it for two weeks finally got it weaned at a ratio of 93. Her fifth calf looked really good then she got a case of foot rot she weaned that calf at a 98 ratio the next year no hiccups she weaned her calf at 113. I am using her as an example, it isn't easy for one to make Pathfinder, when they do you should pay attention because she has made you some money!

Gizmom