patching pin holes in water tank

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good, inexpensive method of patching/sealing pin holes in a galvanized water tank. The boss gave me one that he picked up at an auction a while back for a couple of bucks.

Now I know why he was so anxious for me to take it.

i would try to put some silicone on it then run screw through the hole or maybe try some JB weld or maybe put some silicone on a string wrap it around the head end of the screw and put that in the hole

Go to a plumbers supply and buy some plumbers putty. It comes in two tubes like epoxy. I have used it on stock tanks as well as the pressure tanks on water wells.

Works great

1 ea small screw and nut
2 flat washers, 2 peices of inner tubes

drill pin hole to the size of machine screw
push screw,washer and piece of inner tube in from the outside
put inner tube,washer and nut on the inside unless the kids are going to play in it then reverse and cut excess off with hacksaw or clench down with hammer

There is a product called Kreem that I have used on motorcyle gas tanks in the past. It will seal the holes. Do a web search for it or PM me and I will find a supplier for you.

Virden perma-bilt products. (806) 352-2761. Excellent products. Very nice people to deal with.

I have used JB Weld on gas tanks and stock tanks. I just used it the other day to fix the neck on my tractors radiator. The neck flange cracked loose so I cleaned it and put on JB. Still holding after some mighty hot days.

I had a 110 gal spray tank that had pin holes in it. I turned the welder down low and welded em up. When you hit em with the heat they normally get bigger due to the underlying rust. It took me awhile and several welding rods but it worked. My son said I was just to cheap to buy a new one, I guess he was probally right. It it is still in sound shape the rubber washer and screw will work for a while.

ollie":18x2jbcc said:
How about brazing it?

Or tig weld it. Tig welding is what you use to weld very thin sheetmetal. I've tig welded many a water trough / radiator / guard and no telling what other kind of junk for guys over the yrs. If its bigger than a pin hole, just cut a piece of flat metal and weld completely around the "patch", and you have a nice leakproof repair job.

I tried JB Waterweld the other day. It was fine until we moved it from the back of the truck to the pasture and some of the patches we made started leaking again.

I was considering getting a gallon of white roof sealer and painting the outside of the tank with it.

Some else suggested lining it with fiberglass but I am not to keen on that idea as the raw stuff gives me an allergic reaction.

Latest posts