Pasty and bloody stool

Help Support CattleToday:

sben222

Reaction score
I have 2 bull holstein calves. They are getting sicker as the day goes by. One has real pasty stool and the other has bloody stool. I don't think it is scours, at least not what I'm used to seeing. I can't get a hold of a vet. Any recommendations? I think I need to do something quick!

Sounds a lot like the coccidiosis scours.

Get a hold of your vet for recommended treatment.

We treat with Amprol mixed with mineral oil in a small drench. Also usual give a charcoal coccidiosis bolus at same time. Follow up with a belly full of electrolytes mixed with warm water.

Important: Must be treated very quickly, as calves can go downhill and die in short order without proper treatment.

Take care.

If they are washing out, thin, rough coat, with very loose scours as in squirting with blood yes could be coccidiosis. Cattle Annie had good suggestions on the treatment. And act quickly they can start dropping one after another. We treat the water tanks with Corid and the ones showing signs of sickness drench them once a day for 7 days with a corid water drench. Treat the tanks for at least 21 days with no other source of water.
bif