Pasturing Red Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

MR3

Reaction score
I have a field of Grassy Red Clover. It looks like all Red clover now. I had heard that after the freeze cows wouldn't bloat on Alfalfa. Any one have experience pasturing legumes after the freeze. Thanks

Rod

I never had any issues how ever they were used to grazing legumes.

It may pay to have a nitrate test done before they go in to it.

Red clover is not a bloat problem if they are used to it, or many of the seed heads have turned dark.

Legumes right after an early freeze can be DANGEROUS - - something about how the tissue is damaged and so it then breaks down real fast in the stomach. Check the literature but usually they tell you to wait 2 or 3 days after a killing frost before turning them in.

Thanks for the response guys. I should have posted under grasses and pasture. Noticed that after posting. We have had a couple hard freezes. I will proceed with caution. > Thanks.

Rod

There are also salt blocks that have some sort of detergent/soap in them that reduces bloat, might want to look into tht if you have a high risk situation... When we bought cows, we bought a trocar as well... never used it in 20 years thankfully

Bloatblocks contain Poloxalene as a bloat preventer. I think it can be used straight to treat bloat also

Latest posts