Pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe I need to lease out my ranches and make some real money.
Wow, $1,200 a year for 10 acres, I could be rich in no time.
I figure less the mowing , I'm paying about $40 . No other cattle close by . Close to my son's house , 4 miles from me . Hay storage . I'm happy !

I'm close to you. I had a place that joined me rented for many years (45 acres). Guy just kept going up. I shoulda got out at $50 and didn't. When he went to $70 i left. Been 3 years, and it's still not rented. My happy number was $35.
Makes sense to me, maybe he'll get the big bucks someday and make up for the lost years.

Maybe I need to lease out my ranches and make some real money.
Wow, $1,200 a year for 10 acres, I could be rich in no time.
I was leasing a 20 acre with barn, water, electric for $400./month for years ($4,800./year). You ARE correct...the smartest people in Farming are:
1. Leasing their barns and land to people with horses.
2. Cutting hay off lands for free, bailing it, selling it.
Being a cattle producer is rough, the small producer is usually in the Red or just break even. You must have (at minimum) over 300 acres and over 150 head to get close to turning a little profit for your labor. For myself, it's a passion of love...the land and cattle. A challenge and a Honor to be working our Forefather's cattle land and leasing more...so close to the city of Dallas. Not about the money, rather keeping the old ways of Our Forefathers intact. Everyone is quick pump and dump with sad faces. I prefer honoring (God) land and cattle with happy face. HE'LL take care of me.

I was leasing a 20 acre with barn, water, electric for $400./month for years ($4,800./year). You ARE correct...the smartest people in Farming are:
Being a cattle producer is rough, the small producer is usually in the Red or just break even. You must have (at minimum) over 300 acres and over 150 head to get close to turning a little profit for your labor. For myself, it's a passion of love...the land and cattle. A challenge and a Honor to be working our Forefather's cattle land and leasing more...so close to the city of Dallas. Not about the money, rather keeping the old ways of Our Forefathers intact. Everyone is quick pump and dump with sad faces. I prefer honoring (God) land and cattle with happy face. HE'LL take care of me.
The cattle business is something you better enjoy.

I agree, it's not a business I'm going to make a lot (if any) money on,but at least we and our kids have good meat in the freezer. That counts for something.

Lots of intangibles in having cattle and most of those intangibles can't be taken to the bank.

So true lots of good intangibles...Mr. Bull and me ...we have our understanding....he's what makes the entire ranching operation one of happiness....we have our gentlemen routine of meeting and greeting. Mr. Bull knows he can stand anywhere at the feed bin and he'll get fed first. The cows are nice and cool too....but that one bull of mine....he's the valuable icing on the cake. You know you have a good bull when he treats the ladies (cows) good w/ fairness. The only ones pushing on each other at the feed bins are the cows. In my mind i own a $100,000. 2000lb, 3-year old Black Angus Bull....now that's real intangible money that's not at the bank.