Pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy

Reaction score
Seriously, question here now ya'll don't laugh. Heck laugh if you want I'll laugh too. 😅🤣😂 Okay that was fun.
Now for the question.
How much would you lease a 10 acre -ish pasture for?

P.s. we going to make it to Friday....maybe this week if we live that long. Happy Friday Eve ya'll. 😁

Lots of factors...
1st...... FENCES ????? Condition, type, what livestock are you wanting to put in there???? Adult cattle, calves, weaned, WHAT?????
2nd..... WATER ??????
3rd..... what type of grass?????
4th.... how long a lease???? Grazing season, by the year, by the head, by the acre, or by the pasture as a whole?????
5th.....what are the agreements on the fence upkeep, replacement, water faucets & lines upkeep......maintaining the pasture... bush hogging.... weed control.....

In this area, most places lease by the place, with someone telling you that it is xx number of acres.....about in the $20-30 per acre average... year round lease. Have one place we pay 1,000/yr... keep up the fences but replacement is on the owner to buy materials, we do the labor. Fences are good so not a problem but we have replaced about 1/3 of the old fences.....
One place we rent for the taxes... and we sign papers for all the places we rent for the owners to get land use taxes so they save a bundle....
Every place is different....

Around here around 50 an acre for what's actually in grass. That's assuming decent fence and water. Maybe 15-20 for the brush and woods if there happens to be some attached.

Decent fence, well water, good grass $40/acre. Location is huge. If you drive by it every day it's probably worth it. If you have to go 10miles out of your way to check cows, probably not.

Big news around here about 5 years ago, a horse lover gal in West Salem had 7-8 horses in an acre lot, they got hay every little bit. The village finally had to do something if I remember right.

I pay a $100 a month for one that size . Owner pays the water bill and electric bill ; it has an electric fence around half of it . I wean my heifers there . As few as 6 , as many as 15 , and currently 11 . I also have to mow the yard for the old home place ; takes about 30 minutes to mow . There's 2 barns on the place ; hay barn holds about 125 rolls of 4x5 hay. Other barn has a hall with 4 stables and a feed room . I'm getting a bargain I guarantee you ! 🤠

I just signed a lease today 12.17 acres pasture for $10./acre per annual (yearly)...$121.70/year with fencing. no water, no barn. This pasture is adjacent to my pasture...I'm just installing one 12' gate between our pastures to run cattle on his. Leaser needs the AG exemption.
If there are any barn/s, electricity and water on the pasture land...expect to pay monthly $300 to $500./month for 10 acres.

I rented 110 acres across the road for $10/acre. only 72 are usuable as the cedars and bbois Dárc has taken over the rest.. It will take the 5 yr lease I have to get it shaped up to really use. Had not been cut in 9 years and half had horses running on it for 10 years..

I should mention that 2 acres per pair is what we can generally handle around here on good grass. That's with four months of hay feeding, to quantify the rates.

I pay a $100 a month for one that size . Owner pays the water bill and electric bill ; it has an electric fence around half of it . I wean my heifers there . As few as 6 , as many as 15 , and currently 11 . I also have to mow the yard for the old home place ; takes about 30 minutes to mow . There's 2 barns on the place ; hay barn holds about 125 rolls of 4x5 hay. Other barn has a hall with 4 stables and a feed room . I'm getting a bargain I guarantee you ! 🤠
Maybe I need to lease out my ranches and make some real money.
Wow, $1,200 a year for 10 acres, I could be rich in no time.

I pay a $100 a month for one that size . Owner pays the water bill and electric bill ; it has an electric fence around half of it . I wean my heifers there . As few as 6 , as many as 15 , and currently 11 . I also have to mow the yard for the old home place ; takes about 30 minutes to mow . There's 2 barns on the place ; hay barn holds about 125 rolls of 4x5 hay. Other barn has a hall with 4 stables and a feed room . I'm getting a bargain I guarantee
Heck you're getting the place for the mow job, water and electric bills will eat up $100 pretty quick.

I'm close to you. I had a place that joined me rented for many years (45 acres). Guy just kept going up. I shoulda got out at $50 and didn't. When he went to $70 i left. Been 3 years, and it's still not rented. My happy number was $35.

Latest posts