pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

hello im in north mississippi and i know its early but i wasa wondering if anybody near this area had any advice on when is the best time to fertalize my pastures and what is the best thing to use. we mainly have bermuda grass. i really want it to grow good this spring and was neeeding some advice. thanks tommy

[email protected]

Around here, in Northeast Texas, the general rule of thumb for fertilizing coastal bermuda pastures is to wait until the overnight low temperature stays above 60 degrees for 5 nights in a row. This is usually in mid to late May. The idea is that the grass should be actively growing at the time the fertilizer is applied.

[email protected]

In Florida it is recommended to apply 80 pounds of Nitrogen/acre with a balance of P & K in the Spring. Then you can follow up with an additional 80 pounds mid season if you are grazing it heavily. Bermudagrass responds very well to fertilization unless you have a PH problem.

> hello im in north mississippi and
> i know its early but i wasa
> wondering if anybody near this
> area had any advice on when is the
> best time to fertalize my pastures
> and what is the best thing to use.
> we mainly have bermuda grass. i
> really want it to grow good this
> spring and was neeeding some
> advice. thanks tommy

> hello im in north mississippi and
> i know its early but i wasa
> wondering if anybody near this
> area had any advice on when is the
> best time to fertalize my pastures
> and what is the best thing to use.
> we mainly have bermuda grass. i
> really want it to grow good this
> spring and was neeeding some
> advice. thanks tommy

Tommy: My experience in N. Louisiana and E. Texas is to put minumn 65 units of N per acre every 3o days to keep the grass growing. You may want to adjust your stocking rates to match the grass growing rate. You should cut any extra grass for hay at about 28 days after you fertilize. The Crude Protien will pike at the 28th day and will decline rapidly each day there after. Good luck. Harry

[email protected]

> Tommy: My experience in N.
> Louisiana and E. Texas is to put
> minumn 65 units of N per acre
> every 3o days to keep the grass
> growing. You may want to adjust
> your stocking rates to match the
> grass growing rate. You should cut
> any extra grass for hay at about
> 28 days after you fertilize. The
> Crude Protien will pike at the
> 28th day and will decline rapidly
> each day there after. Good luck.
> Harry

HARRY THANKS FOR THE INPUT IT WAS REALLY HELPFUL. I ASSUME YOU MEAN NITROGEN BY THE N IN YOUR PARAGRAPH(EXCUSE MY STUPIDITY). IF I DONT CUT MY OWN HAY OR HAVE THE EQUPMENT TO DO IT WHAT WOULD U SUGGEST I DO AT THE END OF THE 28 DAYS THANKS

TOMMY

> HARRY THANKS FOR THE INPUT IT WAS
> REALLY HELPFUL. I ASSUME YOU MEAN
> NITROGEN BY THE N IN YOUR
> PARAGRAPH(EXCUSE MY STUPIDITY). IF
> I DONT CUT MY OWN HAY OR HAVE THE
> EQUPMENT TO DO IT WHAT WOULD U
> SUGGEST I DO AT THE END OF THE 28
> DAYS THANKS

> TOMMY

Tommy I would hire a custom hay baler or graze it. There is usually a good market for good hay. That could increase you farm income and the additonal hay offers insurance against a cold winter or drough. I believe in putting all you can.

[email protected]

Latest posts