pasture with fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My i year old heifer grazes in a field (Northern AZ) which has fescue in it. She also recieves alfalfa hay and grain every day. Am I putting her at risk for fescue toxicity? She grazes in the field about 3 hours ea. morning and 4 hours ea. evening. Fescue is the kind of grass we have out here besides your general weeds. She has been grazing in this field most of the year.

[email protected]

Fescue as long as it is diluted with somethign else doesn't pose that great a risk to most animals. Some animals are very suceptible to fescue toxicity (fescue foot is the common name). With the alfalfa and grain unless she is in that category there shouldn't be a problem. In defense of fescue. I hate the stuff, but, if it wasn't for fescue in many parts of the country there wouldn't be any pasture. Fescue will withstand abuse better then any other grass other then the useless pure weed grasses, i.e. broom sedge, cheat grass, etc. It has been grazed for years and other then the summer slump syndrome no real ill affects occur.

dun

> My i year old heifer grazes in a
> field (Northern AZ) which has
> fescue in it. She also recieves
> alfalfa hay and grain every day.
> Am I putting her at risk for
> fescue toxicity? She grazes in the
> field about 3 hours ea. morning
> and 4 hours ea. evening. Fescue is
> the kind of grass we have out here
> besides your general weeds. She
> has been grazing in this field