Pasture Weed Identification

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I'm unsure of the weed type in the picture. They are growing very rapidly in a couple of my pastures. P+D wilted the tops but doesn't look like it will get a complete kill. Anyone know what type of weed it is? I am applying P+D at 2 pints an acre and 21-22 gallons of solution an acre. All other weeds have been a complete kill. Thanks for the help.

Looks like it might be crotalaria. If you see yellow blooms and seed pods that look like sweet pea or English pea pods, that's definitely what it is. Another name for it is rattlebox because the seeds rattle around in the pods after they dry down if you shake them.

Soggy Bottom":2eq187or said:
I looked up crotalaria and it doesn't quite look like that and doesn't have yellow blooms that I've seen on them.
If it has any other color blooms, that'll rule out crotalaria. Kind of early for crotalaria around these parts, can't say about other parts. It's a late bloomer around here.

With it wilted its hard to identify but it looks like snow on the prairie.

http://lakeandgarden.blogspot.com/2012/ ... owers.html

If it is, its just takes a while to look completely dead when it is mature and getting ready to flower. Your herbicide is working as designed. The plant is very prolific some years and this seems to be one of them. I sprayed a bunch today and will do more tomorrow.

Ebenezer":3kvxtznl said:
Croton species maybe like woolly croton or what some call goat weed?
I've never seen woolly croton get that tall & spindly without branching and bushing out a LOT more, but the leaves do look about right for croton/goatweed.

Dalmatian Toadflax

Extremely hardy. Common out west. Bad weed. Kill it!

11tpt38.jpg

Latest posts