Pasture water option...opinions wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

I would think the water line that you hit would show up as an easement on the abstract or attachment thereto.
In any case you should be able to check with the County Engineer and get a genesis of the installation of the line
and any easements or compensations made and area serviced, In the interest of public safety I would consider engineering
(installing) of a 3/8 tee with a copper line to stock water just to prevent any possibility of excess pressure.
Just buy a pressure regulator and skip the homemade options ready to fail. Put it in the box with the main cutoff valve.

I cant imagine 15-25 head even breaking the minimum monthly bill. Unless water is crazy expensive there is no way I would go through all that hassel. I would invest in a storage tank, preferably at the highest part of the property, to fill with water so just in case rural water has any upsets.
Our county water is pretty expensive. Had 21 head drink 17,000 gallons of water. About 26 gallons per head per day. We did have one spill during that period so it's probably closer to the 20 gallons per day google says a cow will drink when its hot. Anyway the water bill was something like $320 for the month. That's 50 cents per head per day. That won't work for use long term.

Our county water is pretty expensive. Had 21 head drink 17,000 gallons of water. About 26 gallons per head per day. We did have one spill during that period so it's probably closer to the 20 gallons per day google says a cow will drink when its hot. Anyway the water bill was something like $320 for the month. That's 50 cents per head per day. That won't work for use long term.
That's insane. What is your cost per gallon?

How does any one support a household at that cost?

That's insane. What is your cost per gallon?

How does any one support a household at that cost?
Comes out to $.018 per gallon. I don't know how much water a house uses. Never been on a meter when I lived. But at 5,000 gallons I guess they would have to pay $90 a month. Better not plan on watering the yard I guess.

What has it been in months with out the spill?
That was our only full month with cattle drinking from 100% meter water. We only had them on it for 2 weeks the previous month and had more leaks but it was still cheaper. The cattle were custom grazing cattle so we called the owner and told him we couldn't pay that much for water bill. He would have to pay the water bill the next month so he sold the cattle.

But either way it's almost 2 cents per gallon so that's gonna get expense when it's hot.

one farm i had the water started out at around 18 bucks a month. after 3 years it was averaging 60/month. I'm sure its near 100/m now.

once they have you on water they have more ways to get you. In a lot of towns.. if you disconnect/not pay for city water, then your house will be condemned.

I'll take my well, with flouride free water.

one farm i had the water started out at around 18 bucks a month. after 3 years it was averaging 60/month. I'm sure its near 100/m now.

once they have you on water they have more ways to get you. In a lot of towns.. if you disconnect/not pay for city water, then your house will be condemned.

I'll take my well, with flouride free water.
Yup. The well option is looking less expensive. Hard to believe got no reply to my previous comment on digging one At the above water rates, the well seems to be a money maker after deducting the recovery price at future sale. And again, those water rates are only going to go up, the opposite of the capital appreciation of the well.

Latest posts