Pasture walk

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Just went on a pasture walk put on by a local guy at his place and the NRCS. Very interesting rotational grazing system.

No fertilizer on his place in the last 15 years and no fly control to speak of. Very nice paddocks and looks like system works.
Average age for slaughter was 24 months and nothing over 30 months. He sells organic beef. Has lots of legumes seeded and it was very interesting.

Anyone else here do this?JHH

I'd like to get to that one day, and am working on it, but not yet. One of the big guys that I know who does that is Joel Salatin out in Virginia. I'm planning on going and seeing his place next year when he offers tours.

JHH":32gicu8y said:
Just went on a pasture walk put on by a local guy at his place and the NRCS. Very interesting rotational grazing system.

No fertilizer on his place in the last 15 years and no fly control to speak of. Very nice paddocks and looks like system works.
Average age for slaughter was 24 months and nothing over 30 months. He sells organic beef. Has lots of legumes seeded and it was very interesting.

Doing this since 1982.................... the legumes inter-seeded in the grass pastures produce the Nitrogen the grasses use in the spring and summer........ we aerate the pastures and maintain the pH................. simple..............
No commercial fertilizer---------- ever.

Yall need to keep buying that fertilizer, so your Fertilizer Company can buy a few more spreader trucks and give themselves a raise in Pay. There is no need for everyone to raise grass fed beef even though it is 6 times healthier for you than grain fed beef. So what, you get a higher price for it and you actually make a living doing this too --- but on the other hand it sure is fun going to the Salebarn and blow a perfectly good day with other Fertilizer users and grain fed enthusiasts.

Ed

edrsimms":3hrw4enc said:
There is no need for everyone to raise grass fed beef even though it is 6 times healthier for you than grain fed beef. [/b]

Ed

I have to ask, since this is a pretty specific claim, how you know this to be true?

john250":1srjgy25 said:
edrsimms":1srjgy25 said:
There is no need for everyone to raise grass fed beef even though it is 6 times healthier for you than grain fed beef. [/b]

Ed

I have to ask, since this is a pretty specific claim, how you know this to be true?

Read my "Grass Fed" Post

edrsimms":16xy8lqx said:
john250":16xy8lqx said:
edrsimms":16xy8lqx said:

Ed

Read my "Grass Fed" Post

Well, it was a bit tedious but I read the whole post. Even if I accept all that as fact, I see no support for the claim that grass fed is 6 times healthier. Why not 2 times healthier? Or 4 times? Or 100 times? Heck, if you are going to make an unsubstantiated claim you might as well go big.

JHH":kqxuojis said:

I would drive down from Memphis to see that sometime. I didn't know there was anyone on here that close to me.

[

I have to ask, since this is a pretty specific claim, how you know this to be true?[/quote]

Read my "Grass Fed" Post[/quote]

Well, it was a bit tedious but I read the whole post. Even if I accept all that as fact, I see no support for the claim that grass fed is 6 times healthier. Why not 2 times healthier? Or 4 times? Or 100 times? Heck, if you are going to make an unsubstantiated claim you might as well go big.[/quote]

Im sorry a 2 minute read seems cumbersome and tedious to you-- maybe you can research this yourself and when you find the same information from USDA and Clemson University you can come back and take this ridiculous post, you wrote, down and man-up and say Ed is RIGHT>>>>>>>>> That is what the research says!
I guess you didnt read it all huh ----------- John

There is quite abit of research showing that grassfed is healthier than grainfed. Universities, Extension services, and private farmers have all done testing. Should be able to find some of it with a search.

Mr. Simms....plain and simple...I can't afford it regardless of how healthy it is. Are your prices sort of in line with these. ??

Burgundy Pasture Beef
Steaks and Roasting Cuts View other Burgundy Pasture Beef selections
Sauté, grill or broil. Caramelize each side over higher heat - then let moderate heat finish them to desired doneness. Pastured beef cooks faster, so take extra care not to overcook. Rare to medium is best to keep in the juices and natural tenderness. After cooking - tent with foil and let stand 5-10 minutes before carving or serving.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PREMIUM STEAKS (#2_1_2)
1. Tenderloin Filet
$31.99 per lb.
Packages average .75-1.0 LB each
Our thick fully trimmed filets are a showcase dinner no doubt. The ultimate "Steak Au Poivre" and naturally the most tender cut of beef. Tenderloin is great with sauces like horseradish or mustard creams. Hand carved 1.5 inch thick plus. 2 per package.

• This cut has limited availability. Add to Shopping Cart

(P2 Q7)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Tenderloin Butterfly Filet
$31.99 per lb.
Packages average .5-.75 LB each
Cut from the same fully trimmed tenderloin, just thinner cut. Chunks of tenderloin are butterflied to approximately 0.75 inch thickness.

• This is a limited availability cut. Add to Shopping Cart

(P3 Q51)

3. Rib Eye Steak
$18.99 per lb.
Average weight .75-1 LB each
All the flavor of the bone-in rib eye. But a more delicate boneless filet. Like any boneless steak - cooking times are shorter to keep all the natural goodness. Cut 1 1/4" thick plus. 1 per package.

Add to Shopping Cart

(P28 Q4)
4. Bone In Rib Eye Steak
$16.49 per lb.
Average weight 1-1.25 LB
If you are looking for juicy flavor - this steak is a stand out. A well trimmed "Rib Eye" left on the rib bone - for a beautiful presentation. Cut 1 1/8" thick. 1 per package.

• This is a limited availability cut. Add to Shopping Cart

(P27 Q63)

5. New York Strip Steak
$15.99 per lb.
Average weight .75 LB
A delicious filet from the large side of the T Bone. Also known as the loin strip. Cut 1 1/4" thick plus. 1 per package.

Add to Shopping Cart

(P26 Q6)

MORE ECONOMICAL STEAKS - YET VERY GOOD (#2_1_3)
Stir-fry, grill, kabobs, fajitas, etc. – great with marinades.

6. Flank Steak
$9.99 per lb.
Average weight 1.5 LB each
Lots of flavor and versatility. Slice across the grain. Skirt Steak, Flat Iron and Hanging Tender are good substitutes. 1 per package. A good substitute is Flat Iron Steak.

• THIS IS A LIMITED AVAILABILITY CUT. An excellent substitution is Sirloin Flap Steak. Add to Shopping Cart

(P32 Q16)
7. Loin Steak Strips
$9.99 per lb.
Packages average .75-1 LB
Thick loin strips - great for kabobs or stir fry - VERY TENDER. They do well with or without a marinade and will be tender right off the skewer.

Add to Shopping Cart

(P35 Q54)

8. Petite Sirloin
$9.99 per lb.
Packages average 1-1.25 lb each
Lean Boneless filets from the top sirloin. These are great for a quick pan fry or broiler steak. Cut approximately 1 1/4" inch thick. 2 filets per package.

• THIS CUT HAS LIMITED AVAILABILITY. Add to Shopping Cart

(P108 Q61)

thats the problem with the grass fed ind...everyone wants to make it into a gourmet or a specialty market when all we really need to do to make it work is to offer decent meat at the same or less than the stores..easy enuff for me..at 3$/lb i can make about 300 more than the best day at the markt and still keep half for myself.
the whole grass fed thing to me really needs to get into the reality of it..the biggest problem is finding people that can afford or can handle(freezerwise) and half a steer ...

I agree. If we were direct marketing at standard retail prices, we would be making more than wholesaling cows, but could get it to more of the population, not just the rich.

edrsimms":2yvzjfrf said:

edrsimms":2yvzjfrf said:
Read my "Grass Fed" Post

Well, it was a bit tedious but I read the whole post. Even if I accept all that as fact, I see no support for the claim that grass fed is 6 times healthier. Why not 2 times healthier? Or 4 times? Or 100 times? Heck, if you are going to make an unsubstantiated claim you might as well go big.[/quote]

Im sorry a 2 minute read seems cumbersome and tedious to you-- maybe you can research this yourself and when you find the same information from USDA and Clemson University you can come back and take this ridiculous post, you wrote, down and man-up and say Ed is RIGHT>>>>>>>>> That is what the research says!
I guess you didnt read it all huh ----------- John[/quote]

Maybe you should reconsider "6 times healthier", when you offer nothing that justifies a number you pulled from thin air.
If you make the claim, you do the research. Find me anything from USDA or Clemson that says "6 times healthier". I will require a definition of "healthier" in addition. Provide that and I'll be glad to say "you 'da man, Ed".
The beef industry, my friend, must be big enough for all producers. When you seek to promote your grass fed product by slamming my delicious and nutritious corn fed beef you are playing into the hands of those who would eliminate us both in favor of a vegan diet.
A grass fed product has merit to some consumers, and I encourage you to sell, sell, sell on the merits of your product--not on the alleged failings of my product. In the end, your arguements are likely to drive more customers away from all beef. :wave:

Ed, if you choose, follow the link to this story: http://www.grist.org/article/2009-08-07 ... ange-myth/
Grist is an environmental website (I bit my tongue and didn't say wacko-environmentalist) and frequently has posts attacking agriculture as we know it.
The link is to a post by a fellow described as a respected grass-fed producer. Read the comments below his post and notice how few people were convinced that grass fed beef can save the planet. Most of the comments follow the general trend "that's great, but you will be healthier if you go vegan and we won't have those cows farting greenhouse gas".
We can all hang together, or we will surely all hang separately.
If I meet someone who is specifically looking for a good grass-fed calf, I'll gladly send them your direction. But if I meet someone who is looking for a good steak, I'll tell them I personally prefer a bit of corn in the finishing ration and offer them a sample. I can't promise them eternal life. I can provide ingredients for an enjoyable, healthy meal.

dieselbeef":34yzmp8n said:
thats the problem with the grass fed ind...everyone wants to make it into a gourmet or a specialty market when all we really need to do to make it work is to offer decent meat at the same or less than the stores..easy enuff for me..at 3$/lb i can make about 300 more than the best day at the markt and still keep half for myself.
the whole grass fed thing to me really needs to get into the reality of it..the biggest problem is finding people that can afford or can handle(freezerwise) and half a steer ...

That was talked about last night. Seems like they can handle a 1/4 but not a half.

The main reason I went was to look at some pasture management and see how he done things. I dont plan on going organic anytime soon. But I thought the info for the grass management would help me. JHH

I went on one last month and am going on another one Saturday. It's great to see all these things I've been trying to do put in to practice.
And met some good people too.
Sure like putting money into pasture better than giving to the out of control feed market.

Bunch of cattle people get together at someones place to see what kind of grass farming they're up to and trade some tips and info.
NCRS, County agents, sometimes Vets, and other related speakers show up and talk too.
Last one they had a Jambalaya dinner at the end.
Pretty good way to spend a Saturday morning.

cmf1":2u2opla2 said:
Bunch of cattle people get together at someones place to see what kind of grass farming they're up to and trade some tips and info.
NCRS, County agents, sometimes Vets, and other related speakers show up and talk too.
Last one they had a Jambalaya dinner at the end.
Pretty good way to spend a Saturday morning.

Thanks for the explanation. That's cool.

Latest posts