Pasture/Tetraploid ryegrass question.

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hello " Brains trust" so I am an Australian and I will include a flyer picture of the grass variety I am asking about.

I am deep in a bad drought on my 30 acre block. I have run out of stock water de-stocked 3 times reducing numbers each time. I am now on the barebones having kept 3 x7 month old Heifer calves and 1 x12 month old Heifer. I will hope to make cows of them in time as when it rains cattle prices will be sky high as the whole country has been destocking .

I am trying to shut down my spending. Last year I worked and sowed 2 paddocks to a Tetraploid ryegrass called feast 2.with one corner being sown to good old tettila Italian ryegrass. As i have next to no stock i have noticed the teraploid paddocks going to head. If i let them self seed will i have a crop of grass grow next autum when we get rain? Originally i planted the feast on the basis i would get 2 x autums out of it and sow to a new pernament pasture after that.

If I could avoid spending any money and let nature take its course on the seed set and pasture regeneration it would help me out. There is no point sowing new pasture when I don't have the cattle to eat it.

Thanks Dave

You'll get some coming back from seed next year, but my experience has been not enough to depend on solely. Helps to run a light disc across in late fall or early spring to get the seed to the dirt. Maybe plant a reduced rate this time, but I would not put my faith in a volunteer stand.

Hate to hear about your water situation. Sounds like my worst nightmare.

Thanks, yeah it's tough when you take Heifers to cows carry ladtvyeats calves on increase your numbers naturally then have this sort of season hit. But that's life. We had an average spring, mild summer, dry winter, no spring...ain't looking forward to summer.

Latest posts