pasture spraying

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
everyone convinced me that i wont be able to save the clover and still kill all the weeds and locust sprouts in my pasture so i am going to go ahead and spray and reseed clover next winter.
i have carrot weed and thistle and locust (thorn) sprouts about a foot tall and ragweed will come in july. the pasture has orchard grass and fescue along with the clover. can someone tell me what spray i should use or what mix i need to use and what i might be expecting to pay for this per acre for the spray? i just bought a 3 pt hookup sprayer with a 27 foot wide sprayer boom and am getting ready to start. i know grazon will do well on weeds, but i dont know about the locust----any thoughts or ideas from people who spray for such as these? each farm store i ask about the spray seems to have a different answer and most of the sprays recommended take a license to buy, which i dont have

The only thing I've found that works on locust is Remedy and it doesn;t require a license. For the small stuff, finger size on down I use a foliar spray with 3 oz Remedy to a gallon of water for spot spraying. For Basal sray on the bigger stuff I use 4 oz Remedy in a gallon of diesel. A few of the small locusts will come back next year from the foliar spray but hitting them again next spring will kill them permanently. It seems llike they have so few leaves they just don't absorb enough of the chemicals to make a permanent kill the first year. I'm talking one out of 20-30, the rest seem to die very nicely with just one treatment.

dun

dun, you ever try crossbow & diesel? i have cleared my whole place of all size locusts (sprouts to 2 foot through ) basal bark for anything under 6 inches & stump for bigger.

jerry27150":b0luj7ca said:
dun, you ever try crossbow & diesel? i have cleared my whole place of all size locusts (sprouts to 2 foot through ) basal bark for anything under 6 inches & stump for bigger.

Haven't tried crossbow. Remedy has worked so well with no collatoral effects that I've gotten pretty much married to the stuff. Diesels gotten so high I could probably hire a day laborer and get them dug out for the same cost.

dun

dun, jerry, thanks for the replies. i am going to try spraying with the new sprayer with the 27 foot spread and try to get all that stuff taken care of. i am sure that i wont get everything, but in my 100 acres of creek bottoms and bench land the carrot weeds, ragweeds, and locusts are just robbing too much pasture----i talked with a guy who sprays for the public and he say he has a mix that will kill it all without harming the fescue and orchard grass but he wants 37.50 per acre and i really dont want to pay that much for one pass so i spent 1100 on a 3pt hitch sprayer for the tractor with a 110 gallon tank and 27 foot reach---we will see if i messed up---thanks again

Something I discovered about some of the custom sprays, like the one that the local power company uses, it will kill the snot out of stuff and right away. But the next year it all comes back. Stuff must have fertilizer in it cause the blackberrys and buckbrush are growing worse under the powerlines then any where else. But it died last year within days of being sprayed.
I just don;t believe in silver bullets anymore. My appologize to the Lone Ranger

dun

The mixture for killing weeds and brush is 4 quarts grazon, 1 quart remedy, 2 quarts surfactant to 100 gallons of water. I also have a 110 gallon sprayer and I use this mixture with great results. My nozzles are 20 " apart. I use the 128th acre method. I travel 204 feet in 35 seconds and each tank sprays 3.4 acres. The grazon you will need a license for. Its about $70.00 per 2.5 gal. Remedy is something like $90.00.

bama, that is great info----with that mix, the fescue and orchardgrass wont be harmed? sounds like that is the mix i am looking for---thanks a bunch

i was afraid that i couldnt save the clover----i will have to resow the clover this winter----i need to get rid of these weeds and locust sprouts before it is too late

While your getting everthing ready to spray go buy some cheap measuring cups. I have a 1 gallon, 2 quarts, 2 -2quarts, and 2 pints. These are really handy. I take a old jug and pour in the herbisides and surfactant.Then top the jug off with water and when the tank is about 2/3 full I pour the mixture in . Saves time and trouble.

The recipe that Grazon recomends is 2 pints grazon and 1 pint remedy to the acre .

Latest posts