Pasture seeding

Help Support CattleToday:

mayesfarm

Reaction score
Has anybody mounted a seed box on a disc or aerator to overseed pasture? I have seen pictures of set ups like this from all over the globe, but nothing in the US.

I have seen them for sale online. People use them for oats and rye around here. Disk and plant in one shot.
Do you know a brand name? I might not be calling them the right thing. I just put words together, do a Google search and click on images until I see something that looks like what I am wanting. Usually/eventually works, but not so good on this adventure.

Do you know a brand name? I might not be calling them the right thing. I just put words together, do a Google search and click on images until I see something that looks like what I am wanting. Usually/eventually works, but not so good on this adventure.
The ones I saw were regular JD disks with seed boxes added. I'm pretty sure they were chain driven down to some thing on the disk.

I'll look online.

I have used some home made seed pots made from PVC sewerage pipe coned down with reducers to a plate with an appropriate hole in it with a curtain wire tickler through it and touching the ground. I had them bolted out the back behind each tine of my sub soiling plough. I did a lot of this over 10 years ago now and although results were not immediately obvious I am reaping the rewards of it now. Kikuyu which is a running summer grass of which I had zero on the place is now a significant species on my place and getting better every year. Premier Digit is another that has done well, being obvious with its distinctive seed head and I am sure some other temperate species have kicked on as well but they are not as obvious.
I have posted pictures previously but once I put photos into my computer they are lost forever and I am not in a position to take more at the moment.
I think it was worthwhile doing.

Ken

I've seen people use a 12 volt electric spreader like you would use on a 4 wheeler. Seen a few of them mounted kind on the middle-front of a pasture renovator or areotor. Just run a wire up to the tractor for power. You could put a switch in too if you wanted good control of it.

I've seen people use a 12 volt electric spreader like you would use on a 4 wheeler. Seen a few of them mounted kind on the middle-front of a pasture renovator or areotor. Just run a wire up to the tractor for power. You could put a switch in too if you wanted good control of it.
I like that idea, but I think that it needs to be ground driven in order to keep an even seed rate.

By seed box do you mean a Valmar applicator?
Had no idea what a Valmar applicator was. Looked them up, that's too much technology for me! Thinking something like the big seed box on a grain drill. Just made to mount on a areator or disc. Really wanting ground driven to keep a steady rate.

Ive seen rigs like what you describe. Always seemed to me to be old homemade contraptions. Maybe not idk.
As @Brute 23 said. Small grains it would probably work ok. Grass seed not so much. brillon, no till ,or even conventional with a small seed box I'd think would be better. ..for both

I have used some home made seed pots made from PVC sewerage pipe coned down with reducers to a plate with an appropriate hole in it with a curtain wire tickler through it and touching the ground. I had them bolted out the back behind each tine of my sub soiling plough. I did a lot of this over 10 years ago now and although results were not immediately obvious I am reaping the rewards of it now. Kikuyu which is a running summer grass of which I had zero on the place is now a significant species on my place and getting better every year. Premier Digit is another that has done well, being obvious with its distinctive seed head and I am sure some other temperate species have kicked on as well but they are not as obvious.
I have posted pictures previously but once I put photos into my computer they are lost forever and I am not in a position to take more at the moment.
I think it was worthwhile doing.

Ken
I think I saw it. Would love to see it again

Latest posts