Pasture Rentals and Tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

killingtime

Reaction score
I was wondering what you folks that own or rent land away from your home do for a tractor at the remote sites? Do you keep a tractor at each place, and how do you feed in the winter? I currently only have my place at my house and another place about 5 miles down the road, so it's no problem to drive the tractor over. I'm curious because I'm looking at renting a place about 25 miles from me, but I don't really want to leave one of my tractors down there all winter to feed with.

killingtime":161auh8z said:
I was wondering what you folks that own or rent land away from your home do for a tractor at the remote sites? Do you keep a tractor at each place, and how do you feed in the winter? I currently only have my place at my house and another place about 5 miles down the road, so it's no problem to drive the tractor over. I'm curious because I'm looking at renting a place about 25 miles from me, but I don't really want to leave one of my tractors down there all winter to feed with.

If it were me I think I would invest in a hay buggy to pull behind a truck. I use to work with a man who kept one hooked up all winter. He'd pull it to the plant where his day job was; then going home from work he'd pick up a roll of hay and take to his cows. His buggy was a Tumblebug brand. Google that and you can get more info. I'm sure some folks on this forum can give you their experiences.

We have a place 30 mi from here and I feed hay with a hay buggy there. But when we plant winter wheat or need a tractor down there I just drive it down. It's mostly back roads anyhow.

Cal

Calman":1op46ntm said:
We have a place 30 mi from here and I feed hay with a hay buggy there. But when we plant winter wheat or need a tractor down there I just drive it down. It's mostly back roads anyhow.

Cal

wow ! there's nothing like a nice 2 hour tractor ride! :clap:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":2rtfarvs said:
Calman":2rtfarvs said:

Cal

Depends on the tractor i have 1 place that I mow hay on that is 22 miles from the house and when we get busy we road some of the tractors and equipment and I can make that in 45minutes flat if I don't stop and get a cold drink or fuel

HEREFORD ROADHOG":1i5tcz41 said:
Calman":1i5tcz41 said:

Cal

Takes 1hr and 10 min.to be exact,just a little joy ride.No more than the tractor is needed there dosen't make since to buy a trailer big enough to haul a JD 4640.
I don't know but if your tractor is that slow maby you need to check your shift pattern again. :lol:

Cal

We had a hay buggy- it was nice till the ground got wet
My neighbor has a flatbed on his truck with a rig that lifts and then unrolls the hay. It works better on wet ground than the buggy.
He also has room for a grain feeder in the front.
He also uses the rig to lift his four wheeler onto a platform welded on the back of the truck.
Hes quite a sight going down the road all loaded up.

Calman":yepi7uxg said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":yepi7uxg said:
Calman":yepi7uxg said:

Cal

Takes 1hr and 10 min.to be exact,just a little joy ride.No more than the tractor is needed there dosen't make since to buy a trailer big enough to haul a JD 4640.
I don't know but if your tractor is that slow maby you need to check your shift pattern again. :lol:

Cal

my fastest tractor runs about 20 mph so 30 miles would take 1& 1/2 hrs. a couple other older ones about 16-18 mph so I figured if you stopped 2 or 3 times it would be close to 2 hrs. But then again John Deeres always did preform better on the road than in the field !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2: :banana:

ok ive been doing some thinking about this q for awhile.if your going to winter cows on it.build you a hay yard.an haul enough hay in there for the winter.then when you start feeding hay.take the tractor over an put out enough hay for 2 or 3wks.then take the tractor home.

The main tractor goes where the most cows are. I've got the backhoe. I have used a Cat loader for hay but it is slow and leaves track rough spots. There is a hay buggy. All equipment gets trailered when required.

A tractor parked 25 miles away from your eye-sight is an open invitation to all of the crack/meth heads to come and steal your battery, strip whatever they can from it, and burn it to hide the evidence.

If you can get past that, then leave a tractor parked on a farm miles away.

In my part of the country you are putting your life on the line everytime you put a slow piece of machinery on the road

my fastest tractor runs about 20 mph so 30 miles would take 1& 1/2 hrs. a couple other older ones about 16-18 mph so I figured if you stopped 2 or 3 times it would be close to 2 hrs. But then again John Deeres always did preform better on the road than in the field !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2: :banana:[/quote]

I was told that the reason for painting a JD green is,it don't make an eyesore when broke down in the field. :lol:

Cal

Calman":2l5oag21 said:
my fastest tractor runs about 20 mph so 30 miles would take 1& 1/2 hrs. a couple other older ones about 16-18 mph so I figured if you stopped 2 or 3 times it would be close to 2 hrs. But then again John Deeres always did preform better on the road than in the field !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2: :banana:

I was told that the reason for painting a JD green is,it don't make an eyesore when broke down in the field. :lol:

Cal[/quote]

You know what they say ........nothing runs like a deere & nothing stinks like a john. :lol2: :D :clap: :tiphat:

Thanks for all the help. Think I will look into the hay buggy. I had thought about taking the tractor down and feeding enough for a couple weeks too and then taking it home it seems lot alot of loading and unloading but I would be better than driving it down that often! Guess I will try the hauling the tractor thing for a while if I get the place and see how I like it. Wish I had enough tractors to spread out all over the place, but right now it ain't happening. Thanks again for the input.

killingtime":3nrio0eu said:
Thanks for all the help. Think I will look into the hay buggy. I had thought about taking the tractor down and feeding enough for a couple weeks too and then taking it home it seems lot alot of loading and unloading but I would be better than driving it down that often! Guess I will try the hauling the tractor thing for a while if I get the place and see how I like it. Wish I had enough tractors to spread out all over the place, but right now it ain't happening. Thanks again for the input.
what about a hydraulic bale spike that goes in your truck ?

Latest posts