Pasture Rent

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I know rent is different everywhere but how much a acre is reasonable. The land is capable of grazing a cow and calf for every 1.5 acres. The land is already fenced with cross fences and water in every field, the owner pays for the water bill which would be around 30$ a month.

pricefarm":2eaak3hn said:
I know rent is different everywhere but how much a acre is reasonable. The land is capable of grazing a cow and calf for every 1.5 acres. The land is already fenced with cross fences and water in every field, the owner pays for the water bill which would be around 30$ a month.
Are you just figuring the months you can graze or year round? I lease some farms just for the months I can graze and bring the cows home in the winte to graze here.

Here you can run about 1 pair to 3 acres and your looking at a minimum of 15$ per acre per year, but that's my cheaper a place, it's about 80 acres with good pens and decent fence, I pay 1200$ a year for it.

Ya it would be year around there wanting 90$ a acre. Kinda thought that sounded high but it did include the water bill

pricefarm":2d83o2i6 said:
Ya it would be year around there wanting 90$ a acre. Kinda thought that sounded high but it did include the water bill
If you can truly run a cow and calf on 1 1/2 acres that seems high but that is just 135 per year per pair. Not really bad. Where does the hay come from? Is that included in the cost.
That being said it is very very rare in Virginia to find grazing that will run a cow and calf on 1 1/2 acres. If it will it has been managed extremely well for quite a few years.

I pay $100 per month on 44 acres of warm weather grazing. He is a good friend and likes to see cows in his back yard. Also keeps him from running the bush hog.
The other places I rent are $20 an acre per year.

15-20 a month per head here
It takes 15-20 acres per head
At 15 dollars x 12 months = 180.00 year per pair

So your 90.00 year a pair per 1.5 acres sound pretty good in comparison

kenny thomas":2ndemgal said:
pricefarm":2ndemgal said:
If you can truly run a cow and calf on 1 1/2 acres that seems high but that is just 135 per year per pair. Not really bad. Where does the hay come from? Is that included in the cost.
That being said it is very very rare in Virginia to find grazing that will run a cow and calf on 1 1/2 acres. If it will it has been managed extremely well for quite a few years.

I want be mowing any hay off the ground I have other hay fields that I mow for hay that I can't graze so I will graze all this land. The ground there has been well took care of and it is set up with a lot of cross fences to rotational graze. If I get the land I will start off with around a cow calf per 2 or 3 acres and see how it goes. Kenny how many cows per acre would u expect around this area?

Latest posts