Pasture Rent

Help Support CattleToday:

With the place I'm working on being so close and having a tractor there I will probably just leave the cows on the lease and cows at the home place.

Nah Goodlife not if you do want they do around here.

A huge drought somewhere, so they pay $50,000.00 and rent the land owned by the water resources next to us.

Then they come and dump their 300 cattle and go back to where they came. So I have cattle in here every single be nice day as they are not electric fence trained and when an adult first encounters an electric fence with 300 behind them they go forward and not back. If they get into the lucerne they will kill themselves and take my cattle in with them.

So I have to cancel Christmas so as I can be here to get their cattle out every day.

I can tell you that I eventually managed to fix the electric fence and put the voltage right up on that wire alone. I then watched as each one touched it and backed off. A VERY enjoyable experience.

Fixed now as the council have sold the bit of land where that fence is and has to be plain and electric because of the floods. So that piece of land is now fenced, if they do lease out the rest of the water resources land it won't really affect our property any more.

Glad you got it resolved SQ but sorry to hear you had to take so much responsibility for someone elses cattle. I hope you at least rec'd an appreciative word from the cattle owner.

PFT. Never met them. The Council made them move out when the Dam started being built and then 'gave' the land right next to us to the last guy who was refusing to move out for the Dam.

We would have loved to buy it as it is perfect for us and somewhere we can move our cattle when we are flooded. It is really a nuisance to anyone else.

We have offered to buy it. For him to be able to use it, he has to put cattle yards on it etc and is only about 10 acres. Whereas we could use our cattle yards.

His son is open to us buying it, but speaking to him I don't get the idea that he wants to sell. We might have to outlive the father first but that does give us time to save.