Pasture renovator idea

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hi guys, normally i hang out on the breeds board.

I have just bought my self a 2 meter styne cultivator. I want to work and renovate some pastures. I got the big idea that i could get a small 12volt spreader with a 30 kg hopper, mount it on the back and broadcast and work in some seed to cheaply sow a crop.

Anyone ever tried this?

This is the sort of thing i am talking about. I hope someone can express an opinion?

Pasture renovation means one thing to me being in Houston Black (heavy) clay. Broadcasting Fescue quite another. I just did a field a couple of weeks ago in #31 Tall Fescue, $86 a 50# (huge) bag.

Field hadn't been touched with steel in many years so did the softening up thing aka "renovation", Hay King Pasture renovator then 2 trips with disc harrow, then spike tooth harrow (so I could stay in the seat). Next the 3 pt 500# fertilizer spreader with fert and second trip with seed, 25# to the acre, spike harrow again and roller. Expect stellar results when and if we get some rain.

Sorry to say but the OFA missed their call this time. Wayyyy dryer than they predicted. However, I think they have some kind of magic in their forecasts as they are usually pretty close on the numbers around here.