pasture renovation

Help Support CattleToday:

Robkev

Reaction score
I live in middle tenn and have about 20ac of fescue pasture I am wanting to overseed. I was thinking of lightly disking ground to scratch soil surface, spread seed, then drag with chain link to cover seed. Has anyone ever done this with success. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Robkev":33j5m44r said:
I live in middle tenn and have about 20ac of fescue pasture I am wanting to overseed. I was thinking of lightly disking ground to scratch soil surface, spread seed, then drag with chain link to cover seed. Has anyone ever done this with success. Any ideas would be appreciated.

:welcome: to c.t. this topic has been beaten to a pulp.. use that feature on top right called search put in your subject and you will see all you ever wanted to see in that subject.

Robkev":o8liejqi said:

Yes. In the fall.

A freeze, or snow in February is an excellent time to overseed. I would encourage you to get aggressive with chemical control of weeds, and see what that does for it first.

Not sure the fescue would do anything but you can seed clover that way. I recommend a white clover as I've never had luck with red.

Robkev":38wekj32 said:
Everything you mentioned will work IF you can keep the cattle off of it. How long can you keep the cattle off of it? You probably have all you need right there in the ground anyway.
Don't know how many cows you have, but if you could lightly graze it about every 30 days all year long, plus smooth it up with a bushhog after each time, that would force it to spread out just like your lawn and come together. It may take a couple of years.
Whats going on right now is that the cattle are going to the short thin spots and keeping them short especially if you are continuous grazing. And those spots are being taken over by summer grasses because the fescue cant compete for lack of root system and dying out.

Lightly discing and spreading rye grass seed works great down here for a winter grass. Might try some oats next year.

Latest posts