Same Heifer -Front view
PA020062-1.JPG

Another Hammer Daughter
PA020064-1.JPG

Same Heifer - Rear View
PA020070-1.JPG

I Think It's Time To Wean! Another Hammer Heifer on a Pure Gold cow
PA020066-1.JPG

New Hammer Bull Calf Out of a First Calf Heifer. He's the first calf that has 4 generations of my breeding decisions in his pedigree
PA020076-1.JPG

A Young Hammer Heifer Calf that's a maternal sister to the first calf heifer above
PA020079-1.JPG

Next to Youngest Calf - A Linebred Pure Gold Heifer
PA020078-1.JPG

A Young Hammer Bull Calf that looks he might make a show steer
PA020083-1.JPG

A picture that shows what the pasture looks like in the more open areas. We've really been blessed with timely rain there this year. It's usually pretty brown by this time of year.
PA020077-1.JPG

Finally, a picture of my Diesel herd sire taken earlier in the day on the home place. He needs another fly treatment!
PA020061-1.JPG

Comments, positive or negative, appreciated!

George

That line bred pure gold calf looks to be really deep bodied.

Bull could use some groceries.

heifers look good.

What are your thoughts on your breeding decisions on the 4 generation bull calf. I think he is good looking at this young age.

WichitaLineMan":38g45v6q said:
H.U.S. are you linebreeding to Pure Gold?

And who is Hammer?

Like the hammer heifers.

Hammer is the bull I got from Star Lake:
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C25232726202F&9=525D51

Here's a link to his sale video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctorgI3NKJo

The linebred Pure Gold heifer calf is out of the Pure Gold daughter I got in the Shafer/Schock dispersion and and home raised bull that is a son of my foundation bull, Atlas Direction 19K and out of a Pure Gold daughter I bought in Colyer's first Internet sale. Since Diesel is a Pure Gold son, I guess I will be linebreeding Pure Gold, as well as Keynote. My plans are to use Diesel on the Hammer heifers.

George

JHH":1lfh5lc9 said:

Bull could use some groceries.

heifers look good.

What are your thoughts on your breeding decisions on the 4 generation bull calf. I think he is good looking at this young age.

He's actually has been thinner in the summer. We didn't get the rain on the home place we did on the lease pasture and the grasshoppers about eat up the grass before this tropical storm came through and wet everything good. He was really fat and soft when I got him and I wanted him to harden up.

I really like that bull calf's dam. She's linebred to my foundation sire, Atlas Direction 19K and also has a lot of Line 1 in her pedigree:
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5B5B262158262D&9=525D5B

Too early to tell on the bull calf - I'd call him average right now, but they can change so much so fast when they're babies.

George

JHH":2yfgiij7 said:

That heifer's dam is as deep bodied a Pure Gold daughter as I've seen - with the possible exception of the Victoria Gold donor that Grassy Run has. On top of that she's moderate framed, easy keeping, has a good udder, and lots of pigment. I tried to buy her dam at the first All Star Sale I attended, but Dennis sure wasn't going to let me stay within my budget to buy her. I was trying to buy her dam with the intention of breeding her to Pure Gold, so when I got the chance to buy the result of the mating in their dispersion I took it.

I was actually hoping for a herd bull prospect. I will probably breed her the same way this year and then may try to AI her to Maui Jim after that, which is essentially the same type of mating.

George

I really like the heifers and the cows. I would say you have a bright and exciting future with being able to produce more like them from their dams as well as see what those heifers will turn into and produce. Too bad time goes so fast and cattle generations roll over so slow.

I like seeing cattle that are run hard and that works for the breeder and not vice versa. Since you asked for comments... I think in planning your future matings you need to pay special attention to shoulder rib attachment and try and make your cattle less roofy when seen from behind.

KNERSIE":32pb9hqn said:
I like seeing cattle that are run hard and that works for the breeder and not vice versa. Since you asked for comments... I think in planning your future matings you need to pay special attention to shoulder rib attachment and try and make your cattle less roofy when seen from behind.

Thanks, Knersie! Two areas that I would definitely like to improve!

I really should take more photos. In looking at the photos, I see things that I don't always observe when looking at them in the pasture.

George

H.U.S.

Not a critical note because I have seen pictures of your bull that I liked, but are you disappointed he drug down so much?

KNERSIE":1tys5vrg said:

Might be a Texas problem. LOL.....

WichitaLineMan":20e9hzpo said:
Explain 'ROOFY".

I'll try and get a few pics to show what I mean, but my cattle is so skinny at the moment it would be hard to get decent pics to illustrate it.

WichitaLineMan":3p1vnp62 said:
KNERSIE":3p1vnp62 said:

Might be a Texas problem. LOL.....

More likely a L1 problem

Uh-oh....maybe a K10....Achiever problem....

The pics you've commented on about my cattle with the problem didn't have Line One in them.

I also know H.U.S. and myself sourced few cattle from the same place with Achiever breeding!

:eek:

Latest posts