Pasture overseeding seed prices

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I went to look at what seeds are running now as I begin to overseed pastures next weekend. This is what people with no account are paying for seeds.

ResizedImage_1408638714319_zps5629a9b6.jpg

ResizedImage_1408638714986_zpsc62a0da4.jpg

ResizedImage_1408638715341_zps4c58f48f.jpg

sky,
I have had an account with Southern States for over 20 years. I pay the same amount for whatever I buy as any other goober walking in off the street.
You get a discount? Why?

If SS is like an Ag co-op, the prices are the same for the first time non-member buyer as they are for member.
I'm a co-op member at Producers up in Bryan Texas, and my prices are also the same as anyone else that just happens in off the street. The only real advantage to being a member is a little dividend return based on how much I buy (as a member). Here's how it works.

Potential members of Producers must be in production agriculture with the intent to earn a profit.
They can only join subject to board approval and must pay $10 for one share of preferred stock.
As members purchase products from the cooperative, they simultaneously contribute to the
cooperative's capital. This occurs because a percentage of the profit generated by each
member's dollar purchases is retained in the form of capital stock. Capital stock is redeemed
(i.e., paid back to each member) at the discretion of the board. Since the late 1980s, the
Producers board has been able to maintain a five-year revolving cycle. Even though members
must wait five years, they often refer to their stock as a dividend. Because this capital stock can
only be awarded through patronage in the cooperative, a virtuous cycle exists whereby members'
on-going purchases fund the cooperative's equity and secure its future growth and operation.

The co-op I belong to gives members a discount. $25.00 bucks a year membership and you save a small percentages on purchases. When I bought the new squeeze chute it saved me about $75.

slick4591":2bftdnpz said:
The co-op I belong to gives members a discount. $25.00 bucks a year membership and you save a small percentages on purchases. When I bought the new squeeze chute it saved me about $75.
Which co-op Slick?

That's how it is here, greybeard. I get a patronage dividend check yearly; got mine last week, haven't looked at it yet - it's usually something along the line of $6.48. Woo-hoo!

Lucky_P":12rnohhs said:
That's how it is here, greybeard. I get a patronage dividend check yearly; got mine last week, haven't looked at it yet - it's usually something along the line of $6.48. Woo-hoo!

You need to spend more to get more Lucky.

My wife loves to brag about our Costco Preferred Member rebate each year until I remind her how dang much she spent to get that little stipend refunded.

I understand that, TT. Feel like I spend enough; most of it not at Southern States, though.

I like our local coop, and it's a bunch of great people that work there. It's also very civicly minded, they support a lot of local things. I have slowly weaned myself off of it over the years. It doesn't seem right, that I have 2 other choices for feed, and both are in it to make a living, and both are cheaper. I get my fertilizer there. They are competitive on it atleast.

Saved a $100.00 a ton on some CAN with just a phone call this spring. I check prices before I buy if at all possible. It's a good way to keep from having hard feelings.

Lucky_P":35wcgaa7 said:
sky,
I have had an account with Southern States for over 20 years. I pay the same amount for whatever I buy as any other goober walking in off the street.
You get a discount? Why?

I buy volume I generally will buy about 20-30 skids of grass seeds -5 skids of ice melt - 10-15 skids of fertilizer and a ton of trees and shrubbery plants. I also buy all my feed from them and minerals etc. They give me a discount on everything I buy.

I save $$ every time I go up to Bryan Co-op, but dang, it's 93 miles one way, so I really don't save much at all after burning fuel to go up and back. And yeah, that piddly little 'dividend' ain't much. Might, be able to buy a hamburger with it.

skyhightree1":3rg5zb6v said:
Lucky_P":3rg5zb6v said:
sky,
You get a discount? Why?

I buy volume I generally will buy about 20-30 skids of grass seeds -5 skids of ice melt - 10-15 skids of fertilizer and a ton of trees and shrubbery plants. I also buy all my feed from them and minerals etc. They give me a discount on everything I buy.
Cowgirl8--is that you??? :D

greybeard":2k3lkr8x said:
skyhightree1":2k3lkr8x said:
Lucky_P":2k3lkr8x said:
sky,
You get a discount? Why?

Cowgirl8--is that you??? :D

:shock: No I wasn't bragging just saying how I get discounted rates sorry if it sounded that way that is embarassing. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I didn't take it as bragging, and nothing to be embarrassed about - was just wondering. You buy a lot more from 'em than I do. I'm a small-timer, and like bigfoot said, there are other options here in our area, so SS doesn't get all my business. Just knew that I didn't get any discount for having an account with them.

Lucky_P":2wz7fpuf said:
I didn't take it as bragging, and nothing to be embarrassed about - was just wondering. You buy a lot more from 'em than I do. I'm a small-timer, and like bigfoot said, there are other options here in our area, so SS doesn't get all my business. Just knew that I didn't get any discount for having an account with them.

I understand. Have you bought your overseeding stuff yet? Is the prices up much from last year?

I try to pay everything I can with a cash back credit card. I pay the bill off every month, get 5% cash back on cable and cell phone bills (I own a small hotel and my cable and phone bills run around $2,800.00 per month) 2% cash back on gasoline and 1% on everything else. The best thing is the IRS considers "cash back" as a rebate, so there isn't any income tax due on it. You get to write it off when you spend it, and keep it all when it comes back.

Latest posts