Pasture Mix ?

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Yesterday I made a couple of passes on the edge of my pasture with my box blade, using only the rippers digging about two inches deep. I know a disc is best but I do not own one. I want to broadcast seed over the area then drag with an old gate. Just going to do spot planting where the grass is thin. Would that work ?
I would like to plant a mixture of Orchard grass, Timothy,Rye, and Red Clover. I have never done this before. I am not looking to bale hay just good forage for grazing. What do you think ? Tom :cboy:

kerley":1zuw7s8a said:
Yesterday I made a couple of passes on the edge of my pasture with my box blade, using only the rippers digging about two inches deep. I know a disc is best but I do not own one. I want to broadcast seed over the area then drag with an old gate. Just going to do spot planting where the grass is thin. Would that work ?
I would like to plant a mixture of Orchard grass, Timothy,Rye, and Red Clover. I have never done this before. I am not looking to bale hay just good forage for grazing. What do you think ? Tom :cboy:

Kerley, It's not ideal but I've done that before and it works reasonably well. You'll get more grass in the trenches but some in between. It'll fill-in pretty quick.

Just a thought. The seed only needs to be 1/4" deep so you might think about dragging before you broadcast and then again after.

To go along with this same topic. If you broadcast (wheat & clover) on a grazed pasture right before a heavy rain like I might get from Ike, will the seed work into the soil or wash away into the low areas?
Thanks in advance
Bird Dog

I would strongly recommend you rent even a small drill. A local hardware/rental center has a drill about 4 ft wide used by contractors to seed grass. I recently did some reseeding along a new fence line, partially with one of these seeders and partially with a drag similar to what you describe and the difference in stand is amazing.

If this is a larger area rent a larger no till drill or hire a neighbor with one to seed it for you. However from the sound of it loosen the soil a bit maybe with your blade (or rent a a small disc) but use a seeder rather than a drag if at all possible. jmho. Good luck.

Hoosier Pete":31co3vr4 said:
Just a thought. The seed only needs to be 1/4" deep so you might think about dragging before you broadcast and then again after.

I don't think dragging after seeding is a good idea. Pushes soil and seed ahead of the drag and seed will be distributed unevenly. Some places too many; some places little to none.

Cowdirt":288tkwzt said:
Hoosier Pete":288tkwzt said:

I don't think dragging after seeding is a good idea. Pushes soil and seed ahead of the drag and seed will be distributed unevenly. Some places too many; some places little to none.
Depends on the drag.