Pasture management

Help Support CattleToday:

KMETX

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on when to spray two fields I have. Just killed of majority of locus on one 2 months ago and sprayed grazon pd today. Had a lot of locus, goat weed and misc vines. When is the ideal time to spray and what? Only cattle on the fields.

Depends on the area. For goatweed, Grazon when the plants first start to germinate works well. For viney type stuff other then blackberries Remedy works well early in their growth cycle. For blackberries Surmount generally anytime in their growth cycle or Remedy when they first start to bloom.

dun":3f4hmg9i said:
Depends on the area. For goatweed, Grazon when the plants first start to germinate works well. For viney type stuff other then blackberries Remedy works well early in their growth cycle. For blackberries Surmount generally anytime in their growth cycle or Remedy when they first start to bloom.

He is way late for east Texas using grazon wasting your money works best on pre emergents.
Agree with Remedy and Surmount.
Again for East Texas pushing August shredding weeds and spraying next spring is about the best attack plan and least costly.

Caustic Burno":13ncmq27 said:
dun":13ncmq27 said:

He is way late for east Texas using grazon wasting your money works best on pre emergents.
Again for East Texas pushing August shredding weeds and spraying next spring is about the best attack plan and least costly.
That's why I specified "first start to germinate". That way it won;t be too early and the pre emergent part will kick in but it will still hammer the stuff that is just getting started. I'm sure if he's talking about them now they are well up and may have already set seed and now is a waste of fuel and herbicide to say nothing of time.

Caustic Burno":v8sr9gln said:
dun":v8sr9gln said:

Spraying grazon this late can also hurt your winter clover. Don't remember where I learned that but I've found it to be true.

So when is best to spray grazon or anyrhing? My guy said with how late everything is showing up go ahead and spray. Just wanted to make sure all the goat weeds that are going to come up do so you don't miss a bunch.

KMETX":c6vlhrc8 said:
So when is best to spray grazon or anyrhing? My guy said with how wet it was and late everything was showing up go ahead and spray?
Best when plants are small and growing. If you are in the summer temps no matter how much rain you might as well wait.
But a lot depends on where you are located

KMETX":38isk3wf said:
So when is best to spray grazon or anyrhing? My guy said with how wet it was and late everything was showing up go ahead and spray?

Sounds like your guy is in the chemical selling business.
I live in the second highest rainfall county in Texas. Our normal rainfall is 58 to 60 inches we are on track to get 88 this year.
It is too late to spray here.
I sprayed this year in April.
This is pretty weed free.

Spray grazon,even though it is late summer it will work if those weeds are vibrantly growing,you will get some residual carry over into next yr. if the weeds are headed out and mature then just mow and don't spray

The only thing I would spray for this late would be croton (goatweed) and only if it hasn't already seeded out and the only reason I would spray it now is to prevent it's seed formation.
No set 'time' for spraying here in San Jacinto county. Spray according to the growth stage the weeds are in. I used to try to be thru spraying by late April-early May but some years, the goat weed hadn't yet gotten into the early growth stage and I'd end up spraying again if I had already sprayed for early stuff like tallow, seinna bean, dog fennel, and blackberry.
Now, I just wait till I see goatweed in 3 leaf stage and generally get everything with Remedy/2,4d mix. Risky tho, if we have a lot of rain and I can't get thru the lower end because of soft ground at the right time....
Too many factors to consider to put any set time on it. Depends when spring gets here, rainfall, how bad winter was (didn't have one this time around)

If your goatweed is mature and full of seeds, I sure wouldn't mow it, but that's just me.

greybeard":bvifeup9 said:
The only thing I would spray for this late would be croton (goatweed) and only if it hasn't already seeded out and the only reason I would spray it now is to prevent it's seed formation.
No set 'time' for spraying here in San Jacinto county. Spray according to the growth stage the weeds are in. I used to try to be thru spraying by late April-early May but some years, the goat weed hadn't yet gotten into the early growth stage and I'd end up spraying again if I had already sprayed for early stuff like tallow, seinna bean, dog fennel, and blackberry.
Now, I just wait till I see goatweed in 3 leaf stage and generally get everything with Remedy/2,4d mix. Risky tho, if we have a lot of rain and I can't get thru the lower end because of soft ground at the right time....
Too many factors to consider to put any set time on it. Depends when spring gets here, rainfall, how bad winter was (didn't have one this time around)

If your goatweed is mature and full of seeds, I sure wouldn't mow it, but that's just me.

Only thing I spray after June is Chinese tallow and berries with Remedy and that is spot spraying.
If it ain't growing here by May it ain't growing.
I don't have goat weed or thistle that was years of attack by spot spraying.
Being a grass farmer is tough work development of the right program to maximize tonnage is educated not luck.

I always have a 25 gallon tank on the Mule half full of 2-4-D. It never ceases to amaze me where I find a tallow popping up.

Caustic Burno":2nk9eg6v said:
KMETX":2nk9eg6v said:

I live in the second highest rainfall county in Texas. Our normal rainfall is 58 to 60 inches we are on track to get 88 this year.

Caustic where are you from? My guy was spraying a pasture a day before I did mine and sold it to me at his cost. Even gave me the invoice, like 78$ per 2.5 gallons I think? Either way the majority of the goat weeds were about 1' tall with a few excetions.. Large and small.

KMETX":1rskck9c said:
Caustic Burno":1rskck9c said:
KMETX":1rskck9c said:

Caustic where are you from? My guy was spraying a pasture a day before I did mine and sold it to me at his cost. Even gave me the invoice, like 78$ per 2.5 gallons I think? Either way the majority of the goat weeds were about 1' tall with a few excetions.. Large and small.

Tyler county

I'm spraying right now. Some weeds are up some aren't. We can get several crops thru out the year.

They say spring best for weeds and fall is best for brush. Well what if you have both? :) Im dang sure not doing it twice. You can't always run every thing by the book.

My motto is if you have moisture and its growing, spray it. Croton and some of the other weeds can choke out your grass this year still. You can shred them, get rain, and they all be back in a couple weeks. The only reason i would shred some thing is if it's too tall to run the spray rig over.

I just shredded 20 acres of good hay because it had a lot coffee weed in it, and I don't need the hay. I plan on spraying it with
2-4d in 10 days and baling it the first week of September, I'll store it outside and feed it first. After cutting the hay off, I'll no-till a oat, rye and clover mix. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another person. Being flexible and able to adapt to what needs to be done is important.

KMETX":3n0lktl9 said:
Awesome I'm around Canton area. Work in Tyler a bit also.
Caustic lives in southeast Texas in southern Tyler County close to Woodville. What part of Van Zandt County is your place? I live between Canton and Mabank.

Oh whoops misunderstood, I live north of Edgewood and wills point a bit by tawakoni.

Due to wet weather, wasn't able to get my pastures sprayed until mid May. Used 8oz Remedy and 1/2 oz of Cimarron plus. Got good kill on existing weeds while burning small mesquites and greenbriar. Apparently enough residual that have no wooly croton at this point. Am real pleased with weed control. Also this mix doesn't require license which I do have. Another plus is little drift potential unlike 2,4d and many grazon formulations. Also no restrictions on grazing or offsite hay feeding.

Latest posts