Pasture looks like May

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Here are pictures I took about an hour ago. The cows have been in this pasture for about all summer and little sign of pressure. I have about 50 acres set aside for stockpiled pasture that I will begin using when I need and plan for it to get me through the winter without feeding hay. I have about 20 head and 4 of those are calves. Two more calves are due in the coming week. The pastures I have set aside are even better grassed than this. The winter pastures are mowed and fresh grass has already grown up.
2vt5huc.jpg

141nw91.jpg

2s7u99i.jpg

2d8js7s.jpg

It has been a good grass year in Ky this year. Hear a lot of complaints about weeds being bad this year, seems like they have really jumped here.

Your lucky inyati, My pastures look like DEATH!! We had good pastures this spring with all the rain, but then it stopped raining. We missed our only chance of rain last night for the near future. Corn is immature, but drying up. Choppers will prob. be rolling the end of the week. Looks to be lots of corn silage here, it'll be the only thing to pull us through this year I fear....
Jenna

Drying up again here, but heck, it's Sept1 in E Texas--it's supposed to be dry. Much better than years past and I don't want to jinx anything but, what happened to tropical storm season this year?????
No Atlantic hurricane up thru August for the first time in 11 years. That's where we usually get our late summer/early fall rain.

Colorado State, which pioneered seasonal forecasts, retreated slightly on its outlook in an early August update, calling for 18 named storms. Eight should be hurricanes and three of them major hurricanes, a reduction of one at each level, the researchers said.
NOAA Outlook
The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration also kept its call for an above-average season in an Aug. 8 outlook for 13 to 19 named storms, six to nine hurricanes and three to five major systems.
"If you don't get your first hurricane by or before August, it's extremely difficult to get those high storm counts, especially for hurricanes and major hurricanes," said Matt Rogers, president of Commodity Weather Group LLC in Bethesda, Maryland. "Amazing we're on the 90th day of the hurricane season and no hurricanes yet."

If we're going to see 8 hurricanes,they better hurry along, tho I sure don't want to see a cat 4 or 5 come roaring thru here.

man you dont see grass like that here as dry as we are.your pasture looks real good.

I failed to strike while the iron was hot. I was never able to finish my first cutting of hay, and should have been able to make 3 (very uncommon here for fescue). I have every intention of square baling 30 acres. Hopefully this week the window will open.

Looks good...Greybeard greatly understated what it looks like here.....even for August/September.

Put the hay unroller on the tractor Friday morning to give the cows some hay....was driving by another barn and noticed something didn't look right....they had broken into another barn and were helping themselves.

greybeard":1tr0s1cb said:
Drying up again here, but heck, it's Sept1 in E Texas--it's supposed to be dry. Much better than years past and I don't want to jinx anything but, what happened to tropical storm season this year?????
No Atlantic hurricane up thru August for the first time in 11 years. That's where we usually get our late summer/early fall rain.

Colorado State, which pioneered seasonal forecasts, retreated slightly on its outlook in an early August update, calling for 18 named storms. Eight should be hurricanes and three of them major hurricanes, a reduction of one at each level, the researchers said.
NOAA Outlook
The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration also kept its call for an above-average season in an Aug. 8 outlook for 13 to 19 named storms, six to nine hurricanes and three to five major systems.
"If you don't get your first hurricane by or before August, it's extremely difficult to get those high storm counts, especially for hurricanes and major hurricanes," said Matt Rogers, president of Commodity Weather Group LLC in Bethesda, Maryland. "Amazing we're on the 90th day of the hurricane season and no hurricanes yet."

If we're going to see 8 hurricanes,they better hurry along, tho I sure don't want to see a cat 4 or 5 come roaring thru here.

They can keep all the Hurricanes.
We used to get the little tropical low's like Allison or Claudette come in and sit and rain for day's.
They would dump 10 to 15 inches or more of rain on us and fall apart .
You used to count on an inch or two every other day coming off the Gulf that hasn't happened since 2004 here. That was the way is has been most of my life.

Inyati,

Do I see some alfalfa in there? What do you have for species and how did you go about getting it all? I have seen your pasture posts and have some serious grass envy, but I dont remember hearing how you went about getting it.

artesianspringsfarm":1xp1t3wm said:
Inyati,

Do I see some alfalfa in there? What do you have for species and how did you go about getting it all? I have seen your pasture posts and have some serious grass envy, but I dont remember hearing how you went about getting it.

I started about 4 years ago with a 2005 Cat D3G low ground pressure dozer (wide track). The farm was grown up with trees and bushes. In the course of pushing them off, I regraded the surface. The farm is steep so to pull a rotary cutter over it, the danger is significantly reduced by having an even solid surface. A D3G may be the best machine in existence for that type of grade work. The D3G is hydrostatic and with two joysticks and your foot on the decellerator, anyone can become skilled in about 50 hours. I would bet I can roll a hardboiled egg with the corner of the blade and not crack it. They are fine operating machines.

When I got an area graded, if it was a while before seeding, I cut numerous erosion breaks with a berm to break down run-off. I seeded in the fall. I would go back, break down the berms, fresh grade the surface, put down the seed and then track the seed in with the dozer. Those words in bold are the secret to my success. That gets the seed in contact with the ground. The seed I used was a pre-mix beef pasture including ryegrass, orchard grass, ladino clover, red clover, endophyte free fescue, and there was a low percentage of alfalfa.

The first year following seeding, the clovers dominated. The next year, the orchard grass dominated. Now there is a mixed stand. I mow my pastures early June and Early August. Some areas needed a third mowing. There are no stumps or rocks. It is steep but I can mow all day and never hit an object.

The KY Cattle Association Robertson County chapter had their field day at my farm to show folks what good renovation of pasture can do.

alisonb":2qfbl6tc said:
BAR_R":2qfbl6tc said:
I am green with envy.
Me too, beautiful Inyati :D

Thanks for all the nice compliments. It was a big job, glad I am enjoying the results now. It was worth the effort. Cost wise, I did well. I paid $33,000 for the dozer with 1600 hours on it. I put 1000 hours on it and sold it for $32,500. $500 to do the job not counting fuel, maintenance, and a few improvements like sweeps.

Latest posts