pasture lease

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Found some good pasture (35 acres) completely fenced and good water source. The owner wanted $1500 for a year lease and I've talked him down to $1000 but I was really hoping for $700. Am I being cheap? It comes out to around $28 an acre, I just can't get $20 an acre out of my head. Could probably run 15 head or maybe 20 stockers on it. Maybe just ain't worth it.

You need to come up with the amount of forage it produces. You can calculate from there.
I pay $800 for 85 at one place but no improved forage. Another I pay 25 per acre but it is all tifton 85.

What nova said you need to work out what your input costs will be per head. 20 dollars a head for year round grazing does not seem that bad to me though, around here folks pair $1.25-1.50 per pair a day and that is only for usually 4-5 months of pasture before you have to pull them off.

Can you talk him into a rate of gain percentage on your stockers instead ?

novatech":c04mnngd said:
You need to come up with the amount of forage it produces. You can calculate from there.
I pay $800 for 85 at one place but no improved forage. Another I pay 25 per acre but it is all tifton 85.

I'm not sure I know how to do that? I'm going to talk with him again tomorrow and walk the land, I've seen it but no up close.

tncattle":36n4a1hy said:
Found some good pasture (35 acres) completely fenced and good water source. The owner wanted $1500 for a year lease and I've talked him down to $1000 but I was really hoping for $700. Am I being cheap? It comes out to around $28 an acre, I just can't get $20 an acre out of my head. Could probably run 15 head or maybe 20 stockers on it. Maybe just ain't worth it.

It comes down to what works for your situation. I rent one place about the same size and price with improved pasture and they keep the fence up. It's right beside me so I just open a gate and they go. Works out real well when I have reason to seperate some.

fitz

tncattle":rl0vr176 said:
novatech":rl0vr176 said:

I'm not sure I know how to do that? I'm going to talk with him again tomorrow and walk the land, I've seen it but no up close.
You can google it up but you may be better off getting the county agent or someone near by, with experience. They can probably tell you what the stocking rate would be.

I'm paying $27 an acre for 125 acres of premium coastal fields. Sandy river bottom loam. Soil tests show all that is needed is N each year. It grazed 54 cows for most of the year and yielded another 689 round bales 4 by 5.5's - but this was a wet year.

Latest posts