pasture lease

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
im thinking about a 30 acre lease close to the house for cattle.
had cows on it around 10 to 15 years ago. fences will need a lot of work.
pasture not to bad of shape. hay comes off of it for the last several years.

what are pasture leases going for?

scf84":cmjhgwzo said:
im thinking about a 30 acre lease close to the house for cattle.
had cows on it around 10 to 15 years ago. fences will need a lot of work.
pasture not to bad of shape. hay comes off of it for the last several years.

what are pasture leases going for?

Will vary from place to place.. I have some leases that are free.. Some I pay 10.00 per acre some I pay 50.00 per acre some I just pay the taxes on the place.. Some my payment is upkeep of the property.

I am paying $77/acre, but the lease is split between myself and someone who keeps a couple horses on the property. Overall, AG in this area is $100/acre and this land got to $160/acre to keep it out of AG.

Rafter S":1ue6a0fl said:
Wow. I let some pasture go a few years ago when the landlord jumped the lease from $15.00 to $25.00 per acre.

Talk about wow! :shock: :shock: :shock:

If someone would offer that here, they would laugh at you and have Sugarcane on the land shortly thereafter. Buying isn't an option either, because land prices are $15k-$25k per acre. Hurricane Rita drove land prices up and people were paying asking prices to get to higher ground.

That is pricey. Land around here is doing good to make $100 profit per acre after expenses with cattle. $100 profit per acre profit would be great actually

Wow is right. Like Sky, mine run from 20 per acre per year to just upkeep of the place. Got a letter from Dept of Ag that said the average price per acre in this area was 17 per.

I figure that you cannot give more than $75 to $100 per head per year for grazing. If you can comfortably carry a cow to 5 acres then the lease should costs $15 to $20 per acre. If it takes 10 acres to run a cow, then the lease should be $7.50 to $10 per acre depending on hw bad you want it.

For $60 per acre per year I'll take in outside cows to graze and take care of them. Just send winter feed and hay and I do the rest. Works out to 80 cents per head per day.

i just picked one up tonight for $8 an acre, but most of mine are 20-30. Also have a few I get to use for free just for providing upkeep for the property like others have said.

In following this topic I've noticed most of you are in the southern states. This brings me to my question, are your leases for 12 months or shorter durations?
When I have been talking to people in my area (Wisconsin) the standard is for about 6 months. The exception would be if you were leasing the whole farm. Rates in my area are anywhere from $15 an acre to $45 an acre, or some do a lump sum for the summer.

Jumping in kinda late to the discussion. I have about 70 acres in central Louisiana with only 9 head. I was approached by someone looking to lease land. He lives about 2 miles away. Do you sign formal documents? Shake hands and go?

Also, if anyone has price suggestions, I'd welcome that. I'm fairly new to the cattle game. I probably should know more than I do haha.

Your the owner, so shake hands and go. If I was the guy approaching you, I'd want a signed lease for X number of years before I start investing in the land.

Not sure about prices in your area, but South LA Ag land is $100/acre. I'd start with that and be flexible.