Pasture Lease cost???

Help Support CattleToday:

shloh1981

Reaction score
Just wondering what people are paying to lease pasture. I have a neighbor that I lease some pasture from and pay $10 per cow per month (2 year old cows and older with no extra cost for a calf). What are other people paying out there? He wants raise the price if we expand to more pasture and I really have no problem with that because to feed a cow around here in the Pacific Northwest hay isn't getting any cheaper. Just wanted to see what others are paying or charging. Thanks!

In Alberta you will pay $30 a month if you are lucky for a cow/calf. Big exotic cows are more.

Im my area it is 25-30 dollars per acre and there are about 10 farmers that would rent it if they got the chance. There are way to many multi multi millionares with the cattle bug around me.

I'd be glad to pay $10 per month per cow if the pasture owner would do all the feeding, provide the feed and hay, take care of the doctoring, etc. that is needed.

Around here you can usually get pasture land for just keeping up the fences. Other than that, $10 -$15 /acre / year seems to be the going rate.

Jim62":aw1eneg7 said:
I'd be glad to pay $10 per month per cow if the pasture owner would do all the feeding, provide the feed and hay, take care of the doctoring, etc. that is needed.

Around here you can usually get pasture land for just keeping up the fences. Other than that, $10 -$15 /acre / year seems to be the going rate.

Where do you live??? I would LOVE to find pasture to use just for keeping the fences up. In my area if you find an old timer that is just not using his land anymore you can expect to pay $20-30 per acre per year. If the old timer is alreay gone and his/her kids have already gotten their hands on the land plan on paying about $10 per acre per month! Can you say greedy.

I am always amazed at how cheap grazing costs are in the southern states, or maybe I'm not understanding it or something? When you pay $10 an acre a year what is that land worth? How many acres does it take to feed a cow for a year?
If the land owner is recieving $10 income on an acre of land...and that $10 represents 5% of the value of the land...does that mean that land is selling for $200/acre?
If you need 25/acres/cow then I can understand the $10, but surely you don't need that much acreage in Tenn., mississippi, or n. Carolina?

The stocking rate in my area is 20 acres per cow. Even at $10 acre a year thats still $200 before you even get started. Some people around here will let you lease it just so they can get the ag exempt for their property taxes. Property taxes on 20 acres without ag is probably around $1,500 a year.

Walt

Most grazing land here is 2,000 to 2,500 per acre. Have seen none sell lately for less than 1,500. Takes about 3-4 acres per cow. The landowners I deal with are not really concerned with it making a profit. They are out of state owners or older people more concerned with it looking good and being taken care of.
Two farms (about 75 acres) I pay the taxes for the rent, taxes are cheap about $800. Five (about 220 acres) given to me to keep them clean and fences fixed. Lease two (about 210 acres) for $5 and $8 per head per month 8 months a year. Lease one (40 acres)for hay at $12 per acre, and own two(48 acres). Doesn't pay to own them in many cases.

Seems scattered out but 5 join at one location and 6 more join each other about 4 miles away and one is 13 miles away but the landowner looks after it most of the time.

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":1lhwtlkj said:
$ 10.00 per year! My property tax is more than that!

You have to look at it another way. A land owner that wants to keep the land from growing up into an overgrown mess that is useless without hiring someone to clear it or plant trees on it has to spend quite a lot to keep it cut, clean and open not to mention fences maintained. Land that is not being used can become a liability to maintain. Thus many rent it for a token amount just to have it maintained.
We can run a cow to the acre when grass is growing but it still has to be bush-hogged once a year to keep down on the weeds. The cheapest way to maintain unused land, be it pasture, hay field or row crop land, is to rent it cheap and require the tenant to maintain it.

kenny thomas":3obs2nv8 said:
Most grazing land here is 2,000 to 2,500 per acre. Have seen none sell lately for less than 1,500. Takes about 3-4 acres per cow. The landowners I deal with are not really concerned with it making a profit. They are out of state owners or older people more concerned with it looking good and being taken care of.
Two farms (about 75 acres) I pay the taxes for the rent, taxes are cheap about $800. Five (about 220 acres) given to me to keep them clean and fences fixed. Lease two (about 210 acres) for $5 and $8 per head per month 8 months a year. Lease one (40 acres)for hay at $12 per acre, and own two(48 acres). Doesn't pay to own them in many cases.

Seems scattered out but 5 join at one location and 6 more join each other about 4 miles away and one is 13 miles away but the landowner looks after it most of the time.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good deal going. You must be a good talker to get all those people to let your use their place. Seems like too many people here in NC are just looking at the dollar signs, they are more worried about the money than keeping the land up. I couldn't even make a deal with my uncle, he has 40 acres across the road from me, it is a little run down because he let a woman rent it for horses for about 7 or 8 years and she really let the place go down hill. No fence work was done and she didn't mow it regularly now it has a bunch of little trees that need to be gotten rid of. I was wanting to put some cows on it but I we just couldn't get together on it. I figured I could clean it up for him and fix the fences and maybe even pay him a little bit a month. He thought I was crazy. Now he gets $300 a month from a guy who has 4 horses on it. It makes me sick to think about it because that is my great grandparents old place and it is going to you know what.

killingtime":25ly0hsz said:
kenny thomas":25ly0hsz said:

Sounds like you've got a pretty good deal going. You must be a good talker to get all those people to let your use their place. Seems like too many people here in NC are just looking at the dollar signs, they are more worried about the money than keeping the land up. I couldn't even make a deal with my uncle, he has 40 acres across the road from me, it is a little run down because he let a woman rent it for horses for about 7 or 8 years and she really let the place go down hill. No fence work was done and she didn't mow it regularly now it has a bunch of little trees that need to be gotten rid of. I was wanting to put some cows on it but I we just couldn't get together on it. I figured I could clean it up for him and fix the fences and maybe even pay him a little bit a month. He thought I was crazy. Now he gets $300 a month from a guy who has 4 horses on it. It makes me sick to think about it because that is my great grandparents old place and it is going to you know what.

That sucks. On the other hand he's getting $300 a month. That is capitalism at its best. Whatever happens to that land can't get un done.

Walt

I guess in all fairness I should add that he does let me use 15 acres on my side of the road. I mow and keep up the yard at the old homeplace and he lets me use it. He wouldn't even consider it on the other 40 though.

I don't mean to bring up old posts, but since this had talked about lease cost, I figured I could post this here.
Where is a good place to start looking for land to lease? I've done all of the normal searches on google, and have not found anything yet. Maybe one or 2 sites have even had land in them. All of the others were talking about the lease agreement.

Thanks in advance. I'd like to expand our operation without the cost right now of purchasing more land. Maybe lease some for a few years to increase numbers and get some good production out of more cows then sell a good chunk of those off to be able to purchase some more land. I can justify the rental price right now, but with building a house, I just cannot purchase more land at this time.

greatgerts":n1kjvhq5 said:
I don't mean to bring up old posts, but since this had talked about lease cost, I figured I could post this here.
Where is a good place to start looking for land to lease? I've done all of the normal searches on google, and have not found anything yet. Maybe one or 2 sites have even had land in them. All of the others were talking about the lease agreement.

Thanks in advance. I'd like to expand our operation without the cost right now of purchasing more land. Maybe lease some for a few years to increase numbers and get some good production out of more cows then sell a good chunk of those off to be able to purchase some more land. I can justify the rental price right now, but with building a house, I just cannot purchase more land at this time.
I picked up some by looking around for lease's that abused the property. I contacted the owner and was able to get it out from under them. I also have acquired some because I new a realtor that dealt with farm ranch property. City people sometimes want the property but do not want the upkeep, and still need the tax exemption.

Alberta farmer":22x0cboz said:
I am always amazed at how cheap grazing costs are in the southern states, or maybe I'm not understanding it or something? When you pay $10 an acre a year what is that land worth? How many acres does it take to feed a cow for a year?
If the land owner is recieving $10 income on an acre of land...and that $10 represents 5% of the value of the land...does that mean that land is selling for $200/acre?
If you need 25/acres/cow then I can understand the $10, but surely you don't need that much acreage in Tenn., mississippi, or n. Carolina?

This area will run 1 cow to about 3 acres pretty easy. That same land will sell from $3,500 up to who knows what if it came on the market. Not too many folks want to lease land for grazing etc because so many folks in the past have leased it and abused it....refused to keep fences repaired, never fertilized, overstocked the place and left a bad taste in the landowners mouth. A lot of land laying fallow for this reason that will eventually grow up in weeds, bushes and hackberry trees.

Latest posts