Pasture land price.

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I was wondering what pasture land in other areas is selling for. The land in East Texas is being priced from 2250 to 4500 per acre. Just curious. I do not believe any one can buy this land and generate a profit on it with cows are hay.

I just closed on 22.5 ac. of unimproved rice land which I will plant jiggs on for 1334.00 ac. The total price closing, survey,everything was 1466.17 ac. I might be able to come out on this for just pasture. It is in Chambers county Tx.

Sold 13 acres off my place 2 summers ago at $20,000 per acre. Land prices are down now. There is a neighboring parcel of 30 acres being offered now for $325,000 or $10,800 per acre.

There is no way anyone could buy land around here at current prices and generate a profit with cattle or hay. It is a hobby that can offset some of the expense in living this lifestyle.

I penciled it out one time and came up with $2500 per A. That was with an income that would still suport the family. That was without any new equipment payments. That was with 30 more years of productive life. And that ain,t gonna happen. :(

The start up costs for ranching or farming is outrageous. It would be hard for someone to be able to come in and get going if their family weren't already ranchers or farmers and could lend a hand. Everyone's pasture prices are ridiculously high! Around here pasture is probably between $800-$1000/ac, but anything that is flat enough to be planted to grain is $3500-$6500/ac. Renting pasture or hay maybe $50/ac and renting cropland is shooting up and is around $150-$200/ac. I know a few people who say that if their rent goes up next year again they won't be farming certain parcels.

Around here they have a new name for pasture land. It is called "subdivision" and what was pasture now grows houses and it has been selling for as much as $30,000 per acre

Well try 50k-60k a acre here in the sunshine state... Florida!

Oh, i forgot to add most of the farmers are selling out to the sub divisions... so bye bye farming.

-Devon

Good crop land - 1000 per acre

Rough pasture land - 3 - 600 per acre

Bush - 200 per acre

100 acre farm sold down the road - real nice house - $200K

Bez>

If someone GAVE you a piece of land, you couldn't make money in cows with it.

That is, if you had to buy everything else too. equipment, cows, etc.

Who would ever pay 20,000-30,000 for one acre. i wouldnt even pay 5,000 for irragated ground.

gosh dang and i thought land was high here. good farm land really ranges. it can be from a thousand dollars to seven or ten thousand dollars. no one needs to irrigate here so theres almost no irrigated land. pasture land is high too, expecially if it has a pond on it. i dont know for sure what it is but its alot, if you can find any. my dad cash rents some ground and he pays 100-125 dollars an acre. which is really cheap. he's lucky the guys are loyal to him and dont try to get it out from under him. knock on wood.

Pasture is bringin 2000 to 2500, plus improvements. I have seen several hay field's turned into Mcmansion's around my area.

Bez>":9f0cx4p7 said:
Good crop land - 1000 per acre

Rough pasture land - 3 - 600 per acre

Bush - 200 per acre

100 acre farm sold down the road - real nice house - $200K

Bez>

Would you like a new neighbor? :)

cfpinz

This is marginal corn country and most plow ground costs $1,200 to $1,500 per acre. Brushy sandy "hunting land" that may or may not be fenced is about 40% higher. So the cheapest way to graze cattle is buy or lease hay fields and put a fence around them. It will cash flow if you are willing to lease part of your ground, practice MIG, and beef prices stay up...

Latest posts