Pasture help

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
I have a small 10 acre pasture that I am trying to improve upon. I just bought the land last summer, and to say the land was neglected before I bought it would be an understatement. I would like to know what I can do to try and get it back into shape. I am not looking for any quick fix, just something to be able to support my few steers that I raise for beef. I would (if at all possible) like to be able to keep my steers on the land while I am working on it, since I do not have another place to put them. I just got what was left of the weeds and grass from last summer knocked down, but I am unsure of my next step. Do I need to fertilize (is it safe with cattle on it?), re-seed or what? Also, will I need to disc my entire field, or can I just seed over the top.

Sorry for all the newbie type questions, but I am just learning.

Thanks

Tim

Well not that I know alot, but we farm more grass than anything. What type of grass is it? How may weeds? I'm sure the grass in TX is alot different than it is here in OH, but the best advise I can give. If you have alot of weeds always use a brush hog to cut them, makes an uneven cut so it takes longer for the plant to heal itself. If your cleaning up tall grass use a finish mower, makes a smooth clean cut so the plant heals fast. Get the weeds cut before they head out. We fertilize our pasture, but we keep the cows off for a few rains. If we over seed we do it in the late winter and let the frost work it in, not sure that will work in TX. If you disk it, the cows will have to stay off until it has a good root base. We had the same problems here when we moved in 5 years ago, and now our pastures are beautiful. I'm sure you will get alot more advise on here.

First thing to do is do an inventory of what you have. Identify what type of grass you have. Once you know what you have you can set goals for the place. How many steers do you want to run? How will you utilize the grass - sell stocker calves or grass fed beef? Will the type forage you have support your goals or will you need to plant something new. Trying to establish grass with animals on it is quite difficult. The next step is to get a soil test to determine your base fertilty and how much will be needed to make the grass produce enough to meet your expected goals. Continue on a good weed control program. Most of the time mowing is "revenge" killing because the weed has to get big enough to cut to kill. For every pound of weeds you control, you can grow a pound of grass. Last thing - pray for rain.

Get some help from your Extension agent about what grows in your area. He can make recommendations for your particular area.

Thanks for the help. Can anyone tell me how to go about contacting my extension agent? I live in Denton County.

Thanks

Tim

For Ag- 940-349-2880. Thats for Denton county. Are you close to the Denton/Wise county lines?

Thanks for the number. And yes, I am very close, my next door neighbor is in wise county. :)

tim1970":2a3vf45d said:
I have a small 10 acre pasture that I am trying to improve upon. I just bought the land last summer, and to say the land was neglected before I bought it would be an understatement. I would like to know what I can do to try and get it back into shape. I am not looking for any quick fix, just something to be able to support my few steers that I raise for beef. I would (if at all possible) like to be able to keep my steers on the land while I am working on it, since I do not have another place to put them. I just got what was left of the weeds and grass from last summer knocked down, but I am unsure of my next step. Do I need to fertilize (is it safe with cattle on it?), re-seed or what? Also, will I need to disc my entire field, or can I just seed over the top.

Sorry for all the newbie type questions, but I am just learning.

Thanks

Tim

To optimise the pasture and grow more grass I would cross fence the 10 acres into about three to five paddocts. This would allow you to rotate your steers through the paddocts giving the grass time to regrow after each grazing. (28 to 35 rest days). I fertilize my pastures with my cattle on them and have not had any problem.
If you get serious, I would put in some Tifton 85 overseeded with ryegrass in the fall. The ryegrass will usually return to give you fall and early spring grazing before the T85 comes on.
As for the weeds, spray instead of mowing.

Good luck,

Latest posts