Pasture grass preference

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I currently have 50 cows on 135 ac. and the pasture is 20 % Argentina grass and the other is 80 % Pensacola bahia. I rotate them 2 times a month into 35 or so paddocks. They graze down the Argentina but leave alot of the bahia. Will they eventually eat the bahia during the winter months?

From what I can recall about bahia grass, cows dont' like it if it's mature or headed. I guess if you kept the cows in the pastures long enough that it was the only choice they'd probably eat it.

What you might be noticing is the difference in the growth characteristics of the two species. Typically, Argentina will grow a little better during the fall than the other bahias. But Argentina is also a little slower grower than your Pen or Tift 9 and the latter will tend to get ahead of the cows. When they do, they get tough and the cows don't eat it as well - if given a choice. If you had cut the excess for hay about three weeks ago, you would have some tender shoots that they will readily eat. Also, once cut, you will be surprised at how quickly they will eat a roll when before they would turn their noses up at it prior to cutting.

Regarding your question about whether they will eventually eat it, this will depend a lot on what you do with the grass and how much else they have to choose from. In your area as in mine, wet winters will pretty much destroy the value of the stockpiled grass once winter sets in. They will however eat it to fill their stomachs if they have nothing else to nibble on or if you give them a syrup tank but be careful cause the food value will be low.

The ideal thing to do, is to cut and bale it when it gets ahead of you. If you can't do this, mow it. If its possible to cut and bale it now, I'd leave the cows on one paddock and seed the cut field in ryegrass and clover once its cut. Without this cutting, its going to be awefully hard to establish any successful winter grazing in the deep grass.

Jogeephus
You hit the nail on the head the bahia got ahead of me because we did not move the 50 cows to this pasture until mid summer because of the spring drought. I think I will cut for hay or just mow and clip the top 4 " so new sprouts will begin to grow. How much should I figure if I plant one of the 35 ac. paddocks in clover and winter rye? Would I have to disc up the 35 ac. completely or just drill the seed in?

Central Fl Cracker":1ksyeb27 said:
Jogeephus
You hit the nail on the head the bahia got ahead of me because we did not move the 50 cows to this pasture until mid summer because of the spring drought. I think I will cut for hay or just mow and clip the top 4 " so new sprouts will begin to grow. How much should I figure if I plant one of the 35 ac. paddocks in clover and winter rye? Would I have to disc up the 35 ac. completely or just drill the seed in?

It will really depend on what type of drill you have access to. If you are like me and don't have access to a no-till, bahia is a tough grass to plant winter grazing in and get a good stand. What works for me is to cut it as close to the ground as possible, preferably cutting it for hay. Once you do this, you can use a regular drill. But I've played around with this a bit trying to tweak things and the best way I've found is to lightly run a harrow over the ground first being careful not to cut up your turf too bad just enough to expose some bare dirt sporadically. I use clam discs and these leave little cups in the ground for the clover and ryegrass to go into. This will yield a beautiful stand and not mess up the level of your pasture or the turf.

If you don't have access to a drill, a spreader with a ten foot length of chain hooked to a drag or a chain harrow works great too. I do both, depending on my mood.

If you don't have a clover in mind, you might want to try Dixie Crimson Clover. It sure does produce a lot of forage for me and is by far my favorite.

Good Luck with it. I think we are going to have good weather for winter grazing this year.

where would I go to find out about the best grass for Ky. I have seen a field or two I would like to redo completely if I owned it

Jogeephus":2hkomrug said:
Central Fl Cracker":2hkomrug said:
Jogeephus

It will really depend on what type of drill you have access to. If you are like me and don't have access to a no-till, bahia is a tough grass to plant winter grazing in and get a good stand. What works for me is to cut it as close to the ground as possible, preferably cutting it for hay. Once you do this, you can use a regular drill. But I've played around with this a bit trying to tweak things and the best way I've found is to lightly run a harrow over the ground first being careful not to cut up your turf too bad just enough to expose some bare dirt sporadically. I use clam discs and these leave little cups in the ground for the clover and ryegrass to go into. This will yield a beautiful stand and not mess up the level of your pasture or the turf.

If you don't have access to a drill, a spreader with a ten foot length of chain hooked to a drag or a chain harrow works great too. I do both, depending on my mood.

If you don't have a clover in mind, you might want to try Dixie Crimson Clover. It sure does produce a lot of forage for me and is by far my favorite.

Good Luck with it. I think we are going to have good weather for winter grazing this year.

Central Fl Cracker":1dx9qbso said:
I currently have 50 cows on 135 ac. and the pasture is 20 % Argentina grass and the other is 80 % Pensacola bahia. I rotate them 2 times a month into 35 or so paddocks. They graze down the Argentina but leave alot of the bahia. Will they eventually eat the bahia during the winter months?

There are 35 individual paddocks on that 135 or you mean 35 acre paddocks?

Central Fl Cracker":1n8mdp0p said:

Argentine and Pensacola are both Bahia grasses. The Argentine is more commonly used on lawns. Pensacola is the preferred Bahia for making hay.

They will eat the Pensacola when their favorite is gone. Like Jogeephus said, better to cut it for hay for winter and then put some rye out for winter grazing. Once the frost hits your Bahia it will become mostly filler and won't come back till spring.

Central Fl Cracker":1zqo8271 said:
Is Argentine a wider leaf than Pensacola?
You also have mail.

Yes, Argentine has the wider leaf and usually does not grow long enough to make hay out of.

Latest posts