Pasture forage

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
I'm clearing 3 extra acres of woods for pasture in the future and was wondering what would be a good pasture grass to sow. I'm in central MO, and would like to stay away from fescue, even though I'm sure it will eventually take over whatever I plant. I've been reading a lot about Rye grass and bermuda. I don't think bermuda would be feasible as I am going to leave several trees for shade.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

If I was starting from square one, I'ld probably go with a WSG mix. It would help with the July and August grazing. We've got a 20 odd acre field in WW now and as soon as we pull it off for hay we'll be putting WSG in there. Takes a little different management then CSG, especially fescue, but the increased summer production should be worth it. I hope anyway. Or you might try one of the novel endophyte fescues. The newer ones ar e suuposedly as persistent as KY31 within out the attendent endophyte problems.

dun

I was thinking of sowing some oats or wheat on top of whatever I choose, just to hold the soil and give a little extra forage this first year. I won't be planting it till May 1 or so.

Which type of WSG? Indian grass, blue stem?

I would think annual rye would be a good cover crop. Don;t know how much real grazing it would provide but it would give the ground some cover. A mixture of something like side oats, big and little bluestem, maybe a little indian grass. Unless you plan on having the seed harvested and sell it, pure stands of anything wouldn't work as well as a mixture. There is an outfit in Collins, something or other brothers if I remember partially correct, they have WSG blends. I'm going to use a crp mix but seeded at 1 1/2 times the recommended rate. There crp mix has wildflowers and forbes as a seperate bagged component, since I'm going to try to get around to reclaiming a couple of glades this year, I figured the flower and forbes would work well on them.

dun

What kind of woods? Cedar or hardwood? We cleared about 20 ac last year, mostly cedar with a limited amount of oak/hickory mix. The ground was extremely acidic, and I think it's going to several years of lime to get it up to 6. I put it in red river crabgrass / lespedeza with a rye chaser. The rye didn't do nearly as well as I'd hoped, but it did hold the ground ok. Crabgrass did pretty well, the lespedeza was tremendous. Like Dun, I was looking for some July/August forage and it really did the trick, especially satisfying for a first year pasture. I've heard that the crabgrass does much better the second year, and I pulled off the pasture early enough that I got a good seed production from both the lespedeza and the crabgrass. Time will tell. Downside of the crabgrass/rye rotation is it has to be worked at least once a year. Don't discount the power of Lespedeza for summer grazing.

The sprouts are mostly elm, black walnut and cedar. The mature trees are white oak, black oak and walnut. I was planning on doing a soil test once I got it cleared. I just started clearing saturday, and I'm not sure I'm going to get it done before the trees start getting leaves.

oats make an excellent pasture grass while the seeding is getting started. up here i plant birdsfoot treefoil, ladino clover, orchard grass. timothy, arkplus ( the new fescue) and a little reed canary.

Latest posts