pasture feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

animalhouse143

Reaction score
at the moment my two 5 month old calves are out to pasture. They have actually gained a lot of weight since they have been out there.... Are they o.k. to just eat the grass in the pasture or do i need to spplement them with alfalfa and/or startena?

If they are grazing and growing well and they look healthy they are fine. The only supplement they will need is minerals and maybe a salt block.

I agree with Ryan's post. However if these are the only two animals that you have you may want to do something a little different. We have mostly black angus but, I have 12 hereford cows and a hereford bull that I keep together right behind the house and I give them a little feed every other day or so just to keep them calm cool and collected. This is all I do and when I need 'em in the chute I just lead 'em in. But, if you have kid and are going to eat these guys don't make them pets.

Aminal H....if your pasture has plenty of green stuff growing, say 6" or better you probably will be all right, it's when they over graze the land and there isn't enough to eat you'll get into trouble. When they eat it down to about 4" move them to another pasture and let it recover.
Took me some time this spring to get the cows trained to eat the weeds and leave the new grass alone...now the grass isn't choked out and is comming up just fine.
Minerals, grass and fresh clean water...the calves will be fine.

Latest posts