Pasture Drill

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjohn

Reaction score
I am in need of a no till drill for planting wheat, ryegrass, clover and applying fertilizer.

With my 72 hp tractor, I figure a 10' drill would be ok.

What brands and models do you suggest? What should I look for as I check out the auctions.

Thanks

I don't have my own no till drill but I have my using my neighbor's john deere the past few years and it does a good job of putting the seed in the ground . The only complaint I have is that the discs are staggered and on our steep hillsides it spaces the rows unevenly , you'll get 2 rows 5 in. apart and the next two 10 in. apart . For grain it's been okay but for hay seedings it lets a wide strip for weeds to grow. On level it works fine .

I went up to are case house and was looking at the 10ft no til drill and it says you need a 90hp tractor.
Sam

farmerjohn":1n7pwi94 said:
I am in need of a no till drill for planting wheat, ryegrass, clover and applying fertilizer.

What brands and models do you suggest? What should I look for as I check out the auctions.

Thanks

Check this website out for the Aitchison Drill from New Zealand. Those guys over there are a real believer in pastures. I think that this would be an OK piece of equipment. http://www.tigercoinc.com/
I just did about fifty acres with and old B model John Deere drill. I installed new single disk at each place. The drill would cut about 1" to 1.5" deep. I pulled a mat harrow behind the drill to cover the seed. The seed is not covered to the depth of the cut. I think maybe about .50". I sowed crimson, apache clover and Marshall ryegrass. Was going to do some more but I thought I would wait out the rain if it comes. Cost of the seed was $31 to the acre. The Apache clover was $2.00 dollars a pound. It will be hard pressed to get any winter grazing this year. It has been to dry. Maybe some early spring grazing will do. I have about 121 tons of hay to try to make it. Will have to start haying next week. Hayed for about two weeks the First part of August, then the small rains we got give me a little break. Jack

farmerjohn":2rukqty1 said:

Thanks

no_till_2.jpg

Here is a nice drill that a lot of Conservation Districts around the country rent. It is a JD 1590 that cost $35,000 I was told but I rented it from my county district for $10 an acre. It is being pulled with my 100 horse tractor that plays with it. I was told on firm ground that a 65 horse tractor has pulled it before. Make sure if you rent a drill that you really get some help getting it properly adjusted, especially if you are seeding grass and alfalfa, I made several phone calls while I was using this because It was putting most of my alfalfa seed on the surface, some people I know used it and had real bad luck.

Our cooperative has a Haybuster 107, and I really like it. I may be wrong but I think Vermeer makes this drill.

Does anyone know of a co-op, soil conservation district or implement store in north Texas or southern OK that rents drills?

Thanks

Livingston Machinery in Chickasha OK rents a lot of the Sunflower no till drills and usually have used drills of other brands. I've done business with them and they are a good group of guys.

Latest posts