Pasture Drag

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I need to make a pasture drag to spread out the manure. Tell or show me what you are using. Thanks in advance.

I dont have a photo, but I got a 1" angle iron bar about 8 ft long, with a chain on each end running down around and thru 7 old truck tires, that I use to drag my pastures with behind my tractor. works great on clumps and smooths out the wet ones...:)

Limomike":3n34ipnh said:
I dont have a photo, but I got a 1" angle iron bar about 8 ft long, with a chain on each end running down around and thru 7 old truck tires, that I use to drag my pastures with behind my tractor. works great on clumps and smooths out the wet ones...:)

I've heard of bolting the tires together but never of just running a piece of chain through the center of several tires and dragging them. With 7 tires and an 8' chain I would guess they are tied fairly tight to the front bar. That would sure be quick enough to try.

I was dreading bolting tires together and the plans I've read say to cut the sidewalls out too. I'm going to try this with 4 or 5 smaller tires and use my ATV. Thanks Limomike.

J&D Cattle":3iymwjgf said:
Limomike":3iymwjgf said:

I've heard of bolting the tires together but never of just running a piece of chain through the center of several tires and dragging them. With 7 tires and an 8' chain I would guess they are tied fairly tight to the front bar. That would sure be quick enough to try.

I was dreading bolting tires together and the plans I've read say to cut the sidewalls out too. I'm going to try this with 4 or 5 smaller tires and use my ATV. Thanks Limomike.
The chain actually goes thru the tire tread on each one, going in and going out then to the tire beside it. The tires are about a foot or two behind the angle iron.

If you want tires with the sidewall cut off, you may be able to get them at your local tire shop. Many shops remove both sides before they send them to the scrapper. It saves space and in some communities they allow dumping them at the landfill. Just ask them to remove one side on however many you need. My guess is they'd be glad for you to take some of their trash!!

I got a bunch of the side wall rings and put them over a 1/2" cable I hung between some trees and then attached old gates and PU bed liners for a water gap. They were wondering what I wanted them for. I guess they never had anyone inquire and they had a PU loaded ready to hall off.

I used 2 6 foot chain link sections about 12 feet long stapled on to a 2x6x12. then i use eye bolts to a chain. my 125 yamaha pulls it pretty well. I might add tires to the end of it for extra weight.

thommoos":2ymqo1x3 said:
I used 2 6 foot chain link sections about 12 feet long stapled on to a 2x6x12. then i use eye bolts to a chain. my 125 yamaha pulls it pretty well. I might add tires to the end of it for extra weight.

Explain please. I can't visualize a 6 foot section 12 ft long, much less two of them

good luck drilling through the tread on steel belted tires, better get some nylon tread tires. Believe me tried it and its no fun unless someone knows something i don't know.