Pasture condition

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Pasture has not had any cattle on it for 5 years and we have not had any rain for 45 days. Should I mow it before I release any cattle on it?

th_grassenlarge.jpg
th_100_0127.jpg

Central Fl Cracker":1qoxupt6 said:
Pasture has not had any cattle on it for 5 years and we have not had any rain for 45 days. Should I mow it before I release any cattle on it?

Mowing it may not be a bad idea depending on your stocking rate, (it might help give the grass an initial advantage over the weeds, but it won't take care of the weed problem)

You could also spray it to clean it up and get rid of the unwanted stuff that is taking up growing space for most of the season, plus you are not removing/damaging avaiable forage.

If you see rain coming then fertilize it, no matter what you decide to do.

I would mow it high to top off the weeds before they seed out!
Then I would spray a nitrogen fixing micro organisims on the pasture to decompose the weeds and fertilize the pasture at the same time. The weeds are there for a reason..... something is wrong with the soil, if you spay herbicide on the weeds, you will only kill them this year, they will be back. If you do as I recommend then you will have less and less weeds and more natural legumes coming back the following years.
Brad

Unless you have a specific concern over toxicity or bloat then "cry havoc and let loose the cows of grass!"
You may all quote me on that one.

If you have a bunch of money and are totally ignorant of farming practises you can engage Ranchcop and relieve yourself of lots of money!

I am just stupid , but what is the fence like?? Without knowing size etc.. now is the time to think about rotational grazing.

It's a 20 fenced paddock that the cows never used. The other 130 ac. is being used by someone that is leasing it and uses it for hay cutting and sometimes he moves his cattle over to the 130 ac. during the late summer.

I don't reconize some of those weeds. I would think your a little late to use 2,4-d. It works better when weeds are young and tender. If they aren't mature you could use 2,4-d. What I think would be best would be to mow high before they seed out. It appers that you have a couple of weeks left. Next spring when they come out hit them with 2,4-d or grazon. This will get your clover but will do a number on the weeds. Talk to someone in your area as they would be more familur with your weeds.

Latest posts