Pasture broomsedge

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I believe some of you say you don't fertilize pasture, but you mow to control weeds and help promote grass growth. Do any of you have problems with broomsedge?
I was able to mow pastures more frequently this year, and it really helped with weed control and grass through the summer; however, now that fall has rolled around, there is a heavy presence of broomsedge in several fields.

Mat Man":243xueaj said:
Lime to get ph levels correct than fertilze and reseed if necessary .

I knew that would be the ultimate fix. For those if you who don't fertilize ir lime pasture, how do you avoid broomsedge?

herofan":3ufmnlzb said:
Mat Man":3ufmnlzb said:

I knew that would be the ultimate fix. For those if you who don't fertilize ir lime pasture, how do you avoid broomsedge?
You are asking for a miracle. You might try using glyphosate in a rope wick applicator so that you wipe the herbicide on the grass you want to kill.

herofan":1n8ivgos said:
Mat Man":1n8ivgos said:

Allow the cows to graze when its young, Mow it to keep it in check.

This time of the year it is prolific and trying to mature before frost, Cut it , graze it or make brooms

PH is low. You can lime for a few years, or use something like mycorr plus (ag-USA.net). The mycorr plus worked great in our pasture for the last two years. Much cheaper than lime in my area. It does not pair well with heavy chemical fertilizers though, kills the bacteria.

Fix the PH and you'll be out of the broom business.

If you graze it hard in the vegetative state , or mow so the other grasses can thrive , you can control it. It actually makes good hay, if that's an alternative , if you cut it while it's green. Some will argue .

I have some in places and my Ph is over 6. could be that the grass is not thick enough to choke it out and I've also heard it may indicate a need for phosphorous.
As long as my pastures are doing well I don't worry too much about it anymore. You can spend a small fortune trying to get rid of it and staying rid of it.

BC":3uem5lqt said:
herofan":3uem5lqt said:
Mat Man":3uem5lqt said:

You are asking for a miracle. You might try using glyphosate in a rope wick applicator so that you wipe the herbicide on the grass you want to kill.
Broomsedge definitely can't handle even a light dose of glyphosate, it's very easy to control using a wipper.

herofan":35ztzsq3 said:
Mat Man":35ztzsq3 said:

well if you wont fertilze or lime my suggestion is close your eyes,cause that junk will take over

We have mowed BS a couple times in summer. Which seems to be keeping it in check. Have unrolled and fed a good bit of hay on BS. Been doing this the last 3 years, and it has knocked it back by 50 to 75 percent, would be my guesstimation. Put maybe 75 lbs of 12 24 24 on this spring too. Something we are doing is working. Thigh stands of desirable stuff can only help.

.....2nd the use of a wick or weed wiper.......but getting it quick before the seeds form is necessary or they will pop out .

I've never had any luck mowing to keep broomsedge down & out. It's like my lawn,... I can 'control' it by mowing, but it doesn't kill it.
Burning doesn't work very well on broomsedge either unless you can catch it in summer and it may be too green to burn then. Too late for burning it now.
Spray it or wipe it.

Clarification...the mowing IMO hasn't killed any yet, but it has allowed the good stuff to compete. Definitely causes the BS to be less vigorous. Thinking it down. My logic is that surely it is weakening it some how.

BlondeD":box94dov said:
.....2nd the use of a wick or weed wiper.......but getting it quick before the seeds form is necessary or they will pop out .
I've never seen glyphosate work as well on any other type of vegetation.