pasteurella haemolytica

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I HAD A SIX WEEK OLD CALF THAT STAYED BEHIND IN A SMALL PASTURE. AFTER PUSHING IT BACK TO THE BARN , ABOUT 100YDS, IT LAYED DOWN AND DIDN'T WANT TO GET BACK UP. THE SHORT WALK EXAUSTED IT. I PUT IT IN A STALL WITH IT'S MOTHER. ABOUT AN HOUR LATER I WENT CHECK ON IT AND IT WAS ON IT'S BACK BARELY BREATHING. I ROLLED IT UPRIGHT AND PROPED IT SO IT WOULDN'T ROLL ON IT'S BACK AGAIN. THE VET COULDN'T MAKE IT AND AN HOUR LATER HE WAS DEAD. THIS CALF LOOKED NORMAL THE DAY BEFORE AND I SAW HIM NURSING THAT MORNING ON THE DAY HE DIED. MY VET SAID IT WAS PROBABLY PASTEURELLA HAEMOLYTICA. IS SOMETHING THAT BAD THAT EASY TO MISS? WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR, AND WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PREVENT THIS?

Select the "Front Page" tab at the top of this window. Look for the tab on the laft that says "Diseases". There should be an explanation there.

Search either google or yahoo for it. There is a lot of information available.

dun

jfont":2ajj9nsp said:
I DIDN'T FIND PASTEURELLA HAEMOLYTICA ON THE LIST OF DISEASES.

MOST OF THE IMFORMATION I FOUND ON YAHOO HAD TO DO WITH CALVES THAT WERE STRESSED FROM SHIPPING TO SALE BARNS, THEN FROM SALE BARNS TO FEED LOTS. THE REST WAS MOSTLY VACCINE RESEARCH. NOT MUCH ON NON STRESSED ANIMALS, SYMPTOMS, OR PREVENTION.

Shipping fever is:
Bovine respiratory disease found in animals that have been shipped or exposed to cattle recently transported. It is thought to be caused by infection with the bovine parainfluenza virus 3 (see RESPIROVIRUS) or one of several other respiratory viruses, followed by infection with either PASTEURELLA MULTOCIDA or PASTEURELLA HAEMOLYTICA.
This is not the only form of Pasteurella Haemolytica but the most common one.

Frankly, I thought your vet was likely incorrect in the diagnosis. There are many different causes of respiratory disease, and other diseases which can mimic respiratory disease in the end stages. Without a post mortem exam, your vet was shooting in the dark. Next time, if there is one, get the PM done and thus actually know what happened.

Other rule outs could include...
endotoxemia
intestinal torsion
cardiac disease
selenium toxicity...severe
viral disease (P. hemolitica is a bacteria)
and lots more which I can't think of off the top of my head)

V

Vicki,

Thanks for the response. This is the second calf in two years I loose like this. No runny nose, nothing, just seem normal then die. I hope it doesn't, but if it happens again anytime soon, I will get a pm done.

and I thank everyone for their input

Maybe not respiratory. Died too quick. I suspect C&D. Describe calf just prior to death. Did he act very uncomfortable or just depressed. Did he throw his head back and lay on his side? When you propped him up did he stay that way or try to flop back out? Calves dieing of C&D act very uncomfortable,may breath shallow and fast, and die very quickly.

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but some of the quickest demises I've had in older calves have been due to an ulcerated stomach.
Seems to happen before they get to out on grass, and are trying to nibble hay with the cows... a coarse bit of hay perforates the calf's tender stomach lining, causing rapid (and I imagine, very painful) death. Usually lose at least two of the oldest calves to this every year, but due to the limitations of our area (very short grazing season and the fact that still get paid by the pound on calves in the fall) cannot change the February calving program.
For what it's worth, would be extremely curious as to what an autopsy might reveal.
Best of luck to you.

Anonymous":1rcmmm6l said:
Maybe not respiratory. Died too quick. I suspect C&D. Describe calf just prior to death. Did he act very uncomfortable or just depressed. Did he throw his head back and lay on his side? When you propped him up did he stay that way or try to flop back out? Calves dieing of C&D act very uncomfortable,may breath shallow and fast, and die very quickly.
The calf seemed depressed and tired, and it died in the same position that it was propped .

Latest posts