Paso Finos

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have an opportunity to buy a 6 year old Paso Fino Mare. She seems friendly enough and comes righ up to you but is also very opinionated about everything. Her ears and mood indicators are active all the time. She seems to go from 'I am happy' to really peeved at the drop of a hat. Anyone here have any experience with the breed in general?

[email protected]

I haven't had any experience with Paso Finos; however, we breed Peruvian Pasos. The PF and PP are both of Spanish ancestry with Barb, Friesian, Andalusian, and other genes. The Spanish horses tend to be willing to please as well as spirited.

As such, they need a job and be worked and ridden. The PP is rather unremarkable until they are saddled, then they tend to change their mood to "Let's GO!". Suspect the PF are similar.

A 6 YO mare should be "stable" and past her teenage behavior. How does she handle at lead and under saddle?

If you haven't done so, access the Paso Fino horse registry association--am sure they have some good info.

[email protected]

> I have an opportunity to buy a 6
> year old Paso Fino Mare. She seems
> friendly enough and comes righ up
> to you but is also very
> opinionated about everything. Her
> ears and mood indicators are
> active all the time. She seems to
> go from 'I am happy' to really
> peeved at the drop of a hat.
> Anyone here have any experience
> with the breed in general?

Sometimes its a simple thing of estrus!! Oh yes these fickle little mares!! LOL.. Anyway on a serious note make sure that a farrier has trimed her right or if she wears shoes that she is shod right,these animals are a gaited breed and because of there legg action they have to be shod by a shoer who understands gaited horses. The regular shoers don't understand the gaites and will ruin a gaited horse. Bleave me that will make a paso mad.The other thing I recomed is if you buy her know her past history.Breeders don't allways make good trainers there for horses will get away with certain things a good trainer wouldn't allow.Breeders breed to sell there product.There are a few eceptions to the rule,but most allways not.That is why there are pro. trainers. Try to find someone perferably a good trainer to help you out.Someone who knows the breed etc...Best To You..Cindy

[email protected]

Thanks Cindy for your reply. Actually she is at a rescue center.... purchased as unwanted. The rescue center here buys horses going to slaughter or unwanted horses with possible potential. They ride the horse for several weeks, have them vet checked and resell the horse to a good home if they work out. They have rescued over 800 so far and some of the horses actually became world class competitors.

The people running the center have never had Paso in here before, but he had heard that the Pasos fight and flight respsonse leans heavily on the "fight" side. Is that true?

Anyway they did phone the breeder down in the US and found she was well bred being a granddaughter of Coral LaCE and that her brother sold for 10,000 US.

So that is her history and what i know of her.

I did go and have a visit with her and she comes right up to see you in a friendly way. She is easy to catch and well mannered. Flayling arms and loud noises do nothing to alarm her. She seems bomb proof in that department. Not a spec of flightiness. But you go and lift her front leg and her ears flatten like she is in a rage. I mean she is a real character and I can handle the moodiness.. in fact I love her sense of personality.

I had an Arabian horse for 25 years who was my bud and I have a feeling that this Mare is going to be a bit of an adventure (if she passes the tests at the rescue center) Physically she is in beautiful shape and very healthy.

Can you tell me anything more about the paso Mind? Its hard finding much info on them other than gaits.

Most appreciated, B

[email protected]

> Thanks Cindy for your reply.
> Actually she is at a rescue
> center.... purchased as unwanted.
> The rescue center here buys horses
> going to slaughter or unwanted
> horses with possible potential.
> They ride the horse for several
> weeks, have them vet checked and
> resell the horse to a good home if
> they work out. They have rescued
> over 800 so far and some of the
> horses actually became world class
> competitors.

> The people running the center have
> never had Paso in here before, but
> he had heard that the Pasos fight
> and flight respsonse leans heavily
> on the "fight" side. Is
> that true?

> Anyway they did phone the breeder
> down in the US and found she was
> well bred being a granddaughter of
> Coral LaCE and that her brother
> sold for 10,000 US.

> So that is her history and what i
> know of her.

> I did go and have a visit with her
> and she comes right up to see you
> in a friendly way. She is easy to
> catch and well mannered. Flayling
> arms and loud noises do nothing to
> alarm her. She seems bomb proof in
> that department. Not a spec of
> flightiness. But you go and lift
> her front leg and her ears flatten
> like she is in a rage. I mean she
> is a real character and I can
> handle the moodiness.. in fact I
> love her sense of personality.

> I had an Arabian horse for 25
> years who was my bud and I have a
> feeling that this Mare is going to
> be a bit of an adventure (if she
> passes the tests at the rescue
> center) Physically she is in
> beautiful shape and very healthy.

> Can you tell me anything more
> about the paso Mind? Its hard
> finding much info on them other
> than gaits.

> Most appreciated, B B, Where are you located? I will do some digging for you but it will take awhile,The legg thing sounds as if she has had some trouble with the feet issue.I have seen them go very lame from impropper trimming. They are bred to be very personable with lots of BRIO meaning Hot under saddle and this really means the training involved.Like any horse a loose reinshould mean relax.However they are trained in the Spanish way the doubble briddle ie: as in Park ( Arab) only not quite so. Hard for me to explain this.I will get you intouch with someone who can help you if hopefully a trainer.Talk Later Cindy

[email protected]

> Thanks Cindy for your reply.
> Actually she is at a rescue
> center.... purchased as unwanted.
> The rescue center here buys horses
> going to slaughter or unwanted
> horses with possible potential.
> They ride the horse for several
> weeks, have them vet checked and
> resell the horse to a good home if
> they work out. They have rescued
> over 800 so far and some of the
> horses actually became world class
> competitors.

> The people running the center have
> never had Paso in here before, but
> he had heard that the Pasos fight
> and flight respsonse leans heavily
> on the "fight" side. Is
> that true?

> Anyway they did phone the breeder
> down in the US and found she was
> well bred being a granddaughter of
> Coral LaCE and that her brother
> sold for 10,000 US.

> So that is her history and what i
> know of her.

> I did go and have a visit with her
> and she comes right up to see you
> in a friendly way. She is easy to
> catch and well mannered. Flayling
> arms and loud noises do nothing to
> alarm her. She seems bomb proof in
> that department. Not a spec of
> flightiness. But you go and lift
> her front leg and her ears flatten
> like she is in a rage. I mean she
> is a real character and I can
> handle the moodiness.. in fact I
> love her sense of personality.

> I had an Arabian horse for 25
> years who was my bud and I have a
> feeling that this Mare is going to
> be a bit of an adventure (if she
> passes the tests at the rescue
> center) Physically she is in
> beautiful shape and very healthy.

> Can you tell me anything more
> about the paso Mind? Its hard
> finding much info on them other
> than gaits.

> Most appreciated, B

Quicker than I thought..Try your browser and type in Paso Fino International...This will give you a good hit to trainers.Depending on where you live weather there is a trainer reasonably close to where you live.LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH.Good Luck..Cindy

[email protected]

Latest posts