Part of the herd

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_telly_369

Reaction score
I managed to get some pictures of some of the animals yesterday. Opinions appreciated.

SCRP Legacy's Lil Bud, a September 2007 bull.
Bud.jpg

SCRP Booster, a September 2007 bull.
Booster2.jpg

Another shot of Booster.
Booster.jpg

SCRP Buster, a October 2007 bull.
Buster2.jpg

Another shot of Buster.
Buster.jpg

SCRP DT Chesters Legacy, a 3 year old bull. Sire of Bud, Booster, & Buster.
Legacy2.jpg

Another shot of Legacy.
Legacy1.jpg

Raptors Tory, a June 2007 heifer.
Tory.jpg

Raptors Tess, a April 2007 heifer.
Tess3.jpg

Two more shots of Tess.
Tess2.jpg

Tess.jpg

A shot of most of the old show girls.
TheShowHerd.jpg

These aren't newer pictures, but it's what I found.

Jessica, Bud's dam.
P91013801.jpg

Mary Lou, Buster's dam.
P91013831.jpg

Bonnie Boo, Booster's dam.
P91013841.jpg

Thanks,

The reason for asking was that I saw a trend in the hindlegs of the bull calves and wanted to try and see whether it was coming from the dams because the sire don't appear quite that posty.

I would definately be very carefull in selecting the next herdsire, I think quite a big portion of your herd can do with a little more angle in the hocks.

Kind of partial to Tess, I'd like to see her crossed with a herf or red angus.

I have read on these boards that Pinzgauers take a hit at the barns b/c the hide is Longhornish. Do you find this to be true? Just curious. How many generations does it take to lose the white tail and turn solid red in color?

KNERSIE":vjele2a4 said:
Thanks,

The reason for asking was that I saw a trend in the hindlegs of the bull calves and wanted to try and see whether it was coming from the dams because the sire don't appear quite that posty.

I would definately be very carefull in selecting the next herdsire, I think quite a big portion of your herd can do with a little more angle in the hocks.
Cowgirl (...and KNERSIE)

Your calves are better than average Phenotypically! Your "Raptors Tess" heifer is a real knockout! I would like to see you develop her into a producing seedstock cow, and try her as a donor. She is constructed just right, (with a little more angle to the hocks), and it takes some discerning observation to determine that, because of the interesting markings on her side, which can be confusing when making certain EXACTLY what her phenotype is, and not confusing it with her marking patterns! She is a real "keeper!"

I had the same thought as KNERSIE had regarding your bull being post-legged, and I analysed BOTH bull pictures for a long time - taking into consideration how he was positioned and the placement of his feet in both pictures. I do think that he has a Genetic post-legged tendency, and I feel that you would be well advised to select your next bull with an eye toward a more bullish head, stronger hindquarters, and improvement to those hocks! Other than that, he produces good calves, but I know that the dams are contributing a LOT of quality to HIS production.

Please be VERY selective in your choice of sires to the calves of "Raptors Tess!" Your have a real winner there, - In My Opinion! Using a HIGH quality Phenotype, Genotype, and Functional Trait sire on Tess, Flushing her, sexing the semen for females, and AI'ing into Recipient cows could set you up for a high quality, top of the breed herd for the rest of your life! Show this post to your Dad, and talk to him about that possibility. By selective line-breeding, and proper management of your genetics, you could have one of the TOP Pinzgauer herds anywhere. It just takes good cattle and persistence in sticking to your goals.

I imagine that you are thinking "Show Calves" right now more than your future cow herd, but it takes excellent seedstock to achieve excellent Show calves, and your 'show' life will not last forever. But producing top quality cattle for OTHERS to use as show cattle can go on for your entire life! This little "Raptors Tess" can be your 'catapult' into the future.

Just my thoughts at the moment.

Good luck to you in the future!

DOC HARRIS

Santas and Duhram Reds":cismr5t4 said:
I have read on these boards that Pinzgauers take a hit at the barns b/c the hide is Longhornish. Do you find this to be true? Just curious. How many generations does it take to lose the white tail and turn solid red in color?

Pinzgauers do take a hit at the sale barns. We use the sale barn as a last resort for our Pinzgauers.

I saw 15 or 16 old Pinz cows go thru the sale last friday, they were some of the sorriest cattle I have ever seen. Not one of them brought over $.40. Your heifer is head and shoulders above those cows ,but I see the same phenotype in your bull that I saw in those cows, basically no but, and the legs are as everyone here has noted.

I agree with Doc about flushing the heifer, and hopefuly there is some semen available that will compliment her. As far as breeding out the stripe, why bother. If you don't want the stripe sell them and buy Red Angus. You can't have it both ways, the stripe goes with the breed I watched a whole pen of 1/4 Pinz calves sell friday and everyone of them had a ring around his tail. Pretty hard to hide that . and they didn't bring much money $1.21 on a day when solid color calves of any color brought $1.39, or more

Latest posts