Part of the herd (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_telly_369

Reaction score
Any comments are welcome.

Water lily (Registered Pinzgauer) and Noel
S6301151.JPG

2007 heifer (Purebred Pinzgauer..debating on registration)
S6301150.JPG

Chance, one of the herd bulls. (Registered)
S6301149.JPG

Lavinia Hawk (Registered)
S6301152.JPG

Raptor's Tami..One of the heifers that had a c-section this January. (Registered)
S6301153.JPG

2008 Heifer
S6301140.JPG

Princess (Registered)
S6301142.JPG

One of Noel's calves.
S6301145.JPG

S6301146.JPG

Unity (Princess' 2008 heifer)
S6301148.JPG

Olina (Registered)
S6301137.JPG

March Calf
S6301135.JPG

2007 Crossbred bull
S6301138.JPG

Adeline and her bull
S6301139.JPG

Just my opinion, but you probably better start selecting for better backs on these cattle and the sooner the better.

Good looking herd, looks like you guys are well on your way to a nice herd. I really like Adeline and her calf. I see the dike in the back ground of one of the pics, do you winter them there or bring the home for the winter? Do you have any of your cows bred AI?

Thanks for posting the pics, great looking country you live in 8) .

Alan

Alan":184jspc9 said:
Good looking herd, looks like you guys are well on your way to a nice herd. I really like Adeline and her calf. I see the dike in the back ground of one of the pics, do you winter them there or bring the home for the winter? Do you have any of your cows bred AI?

Thanks for posting the pics, great looking country you live in 8) .

Alan

We usually winter them there, but they just cut down all the trees, so we're going to winter them on another set of trees with more grass. None of them are AI'd right now. The girls in these pictures are bred to Chance, and the other field is bred to Legacy, the bull we sold in June.

bigbull338":yokps4tq said:
those are some goodlooking cattle.

Are you serious? You've been posting on here longer than I have, and you know cattle better than that. Don't tell someone their cattle look good when they really don't. Be honest and try to help those who could use some constructive criticism.

Cowgirl Telly - I'm going to be totally honest with you about the cattle you posted. Keep in mind it is not a criticism of you as a farmer or a person, some people tend to forget that remarks about their livestock are just that, and not personal attacks. These are below average cattle. One of the better lookng ones is the heifer who had a C-section, and since she had a C-section, she should be culled so that you don't give her the chance to pass on hard-calving genetics again. Yes, it may not be her fault, it could just be a freak thing, but don't take chances. There are thousands of cattle out there selling real cheap right now that you could replace her with, and just about any auction you go to will have better looking animals for sale these days - I hope.

I've seen lots of Pinzgauers over the years that looked better than these specimens, so if you have your heart set on them I'd suggest finding a breeder with some real good breeding stock and buy yourself a better bull. I'm sure your cattle look better when they're fat, as it's plain to see they are in thin condition right now. Not terribly bad, but they certainly need to get to that other treed area you speak of with more grass.

That's my 2 cents worth. Don't see the point in biting my tongue, but keep in mind I don't mean to offend you, just trying to help. Best of luck.

purecountry":u6havpq2 said:
bigbull338":u6havpq2 said:
those are some goodlooking cattle.

Are you serious? You've been posting on here longer than I have, and you know cattle better than that. Don't tell someone their cattle look good when they really don't. Be honest and try to help those who could use some constructive criticism.

Cowgirl Telly - I'm going to be totally honest with you about the cattle you posted. Keep in mind it is not a criticism of you as a farmer or a person, some people tend to forget that remarks about their livestock are just that, and not personal attacks. These are below average cattle. One of the better lookng ones is the heifer who had a C-section, and since she had a C-section, she should be culled so that you don't give her the chance to pass on hard-calving genetics again. Yes, it may not be her fault, it could just be a freak thing, but don't take chances. There are thousands of cattle out there selling real cheap right now that you could replace her with, and just about any auction you go to will have better looking animals for sale these days - I hope.

I've seen lots of Pinzgauers over the years that looked better than these specimens, so if you have your heart set on them I'd suggest finding a breeder with some real good breeding stock and buy yourself a better bull. I'm sure your cattle look better when they're fat, as it's plain to see they are in thin condition right now. Not terribly bad, but they certainly need to get to that other treed area you speak of with more grass.

That's my 2 cents worth. Don't see the point in biting my tongue, but keep in mind I don't mean to offend you, just trying to help. Best of luck.

I recalled mentioning thin condition in similar cattle and found this thread with your cattle.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57921&p=668984#p668984

Telly, is there some time of the year when they get more feed? Seems if you can't get more feed, you might need to consider fewer cattle.

I have to agree with PureCountry. I would sure like to see some more balance, muscle, more top, and less front-end on these guys and I'd like them a whole lot better. Just constructive criticism. :cboy:

Latest posts