Part of my daily routine

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
My furry companion using his brains to warm up while waiting for me to show up.
P1010011-2.jpg

We bring in our grain orders in large bags like this. This one contained 1280 lbs when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.
P1010004-3.jpg

Our standard feed mix. 20% straight oats with the other 80% containing rolled oats, rolled corn and pellets. We top dress with 46% Soybean meal.
P1010001-2.jpg

Friends are ready and waiting.
P1010020.jpg

Mad rush to the feeders.
P1010021.jpg

Most, but not everyone fits. About 8 head have to eat from bathtubs in behind these guys.
P1010022.jpg

My fall-born friends are waiting as well.
P1010012-2.jpg

Hungry little monsters.
P1010013-3.jpg

Looking around at mamas and our boy 'Laddy'...who should already have been pulled. Nobody has cycled in a month.
P1010016-1.jpg

My lone ranger. Always follows me around rather than grabbing his share of grain.
P1010014-1.jpg

Two of our first calvers. First one is 2.5 years (planned)...beside bale is 2 years (unplanned).
P1010015.jpg

BSing around the hay ring.
P1010019.jpg

Looks good in the pics, but this is about the worst hay we have ever put up. Has caused a lot of diarrhea similar to winter dysentry.
P1010017-1.jpg

P1010018.jpg

Winter and cattle!

Things look very good my friend.

Cattle fat and sassy - no heavy tag and all eating. Snow on their backs and no ribs showing.

Leave the bull - as long as he is the only one - until it comes time to calve - I find it keeps them quiet. They like being with the girls even if they are not breeding. If you have a bunch of bulls different story - agree with pulling them.

What more could a fellow ask for. Sunny day and clean snow.

You have a good New Year.

Best to you,

Bez+

Very nice Aaron. I like the pictures. Cat's are funny aren't they? They'll find a way to keep warm. Mine don't have to work too hard at it. My wife puts out heat lamps for her barn cats. I keep telling her she's going to roast one. :)

I have a big respect for you good folks up north. I honestly think I would freeze up and not get anything done until Spring. How many months do you have snow and ice up there?

BTW, the cows look great.

Cool pics Aaron..thanks for posting them..
Your totes, don't you get a discount if you fill them to capacity ?..I usually have mine filled to 2000lbs and get 5 % off then.

Happy New Year and stay warm.. :)

skyline":1q69yke2 said:
Very nice Aaron. I like the pictures. Cat's are funny aren't they? They'll find a way to keep warm. Mine don't have to work too hard at it. My wife puts out heat lamps for her barn cats. I keep telling her she's going to roast one. :)

I have a big respect for you good folks up north. I honestly think I would freeze up and not get anything done until Spring. How many months do you have snow and ice up there?

BTW, the cows look great.

It was -25C that day. -18C today. -23C tomorrow. Majority of us up here just go into hibernation mode. As long as the cows are happy and content, and the fires are stoked, we spend the majority of time inside and/or sleeping. Sun comes up at 8:30 and is pretty well gone by 4:30. We got out first bit of snow in the middle of November and we'll have it linger until at least the end of March. Problem is, we are already past our total snowfall for the past number of winters. We are sitting around the 2 foot mark so far, and we are not even to the 1/2 way point yet. Prairies get colder than we do, due to the windchills, but we get more total snowfall in Ontario. :cowboy:

hillsdown":1q69yke2 said:
Cool pics Aaron..thanks for posting them..
Your totes, don't you get a discount if you fill them to capacity ?..I usually have mine filled to 2000lbs and get 5 % off then.

Happy New Year and stay warm.. :)

They are not the real big bags that hold a ton of grain. I think these max out around 1400-1500 lbs. No discount for filling to capacity. They instead put a core charge on the bag and you get refunded for bringing the bag back. Our feed comes through a local dealer, but it is from Landmark Feeds in Landmark, MB.

Happy New Year to you and Bez and everyone else and your families.

They are not the real big bags that hold a ton of grain. I think these max out around 1400-1500 lbs. No discount for filling to capacity. They instead put a core charge on the bag and you get refunded for bringing the bag back. Our feed comes through a local dealer, but it is from Landmark Feeds in Landmark, MB.

It's to bad you live so far away, down here thousands of those bags are thrown away every year.

It's to bad you live so far away, down here thousands of those bags are thrown away every year.

are you talking about the big bags being thrown away? where i buy feed, they charge $20.00 for those bags

Enjoyed seeing those pics Aaron. Looks like your cattle are well fed, despite the cold temps. Good job!

Good looking animals.
BTW, what's wrong with the hay. Fungus? Age or type of grass? When we make bad hay, it usually keeps the cows very regular, since it's nothing but fiber. :D

looks very similar to finland. How long you can keep cows grazing? Here grass start to grow in may and goes to winter "rest" in septemper.

Personally, I'm amazed anyone can make money by mechanically harvesting that much feed for that long of a period. We only have three bad months to deal with, December, January, and February.

cowsrus":2tfauyie said:

are you talking about the big bags being thrown away? where i buy feed, they charge $20.00 for those bags
Yeah those bags that hold either 40 or 50 bags of seed. They are thrown away by the thousands.

Latest posts