Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I noticed a calf on the other side of a fence and walked back through no jumping or anything so I went to look at charger and its full green as in fence is doing exactly what it should with nothing on it. I put the meter on it like 650v going through it. any other time its 6 times that. I am wondering if since its so dry my ground is shot or is it the battery since I have had it in use for 5 years. My other batteries just stopped working. Anyone have any issues like this before?

I will take a tote full of water out there and let it out slowly around all the rods and check.

We are in drought status and I already have 6 rods on it. Do you think adding more would fix the problem ? Is it possible to put a ground rod in the tote with water and see?

Thanks

Water at the ground rods may help a little, but you have to remember that the whole earth is the ground and has to conduct through it. If you have an existing fence with t-posts, hooking up to that as an addition to the existing ground may help simply because it spreads the ground system out over a wider area.

Test directly at the charger with the ground rods and fence unhooked. Edit: touch your tester leads directly to the charger...not in the dirt. If you don't get a maximum reading, check the battery. In extreme dry situations, it is typically necessary to run grounded wires with your hot wires. The critter has to touch both to get a shock, but they usually won't ground with their feet when it's dry. Likely, that is the problem. 6 rods is plenty.....if they are in deep.

dun":1tkhz9k4 said:
Water at the ground rods may help a little, but you have to remember that the whole earth is the ground and has to conduct through it. If you have an existing fence with t-posts, hooking up to that as an addition to the existing ground may help simply because it spreads the ground system out over a wider area.

Ok I gotcha thanks

Farm Fence Solutions":1tkhz9k4 said:
Test directly at the charger with the ground rods and fence unhooked. Edit: touch your tester leads directly to the charger...not in the dirt. If you don't get a maximum reading, check the battery. In extreme dry situations, it is typically necessary to run grounded wires with your hot wires. The critter has to touch both to get a shock, but they usually won't ground with their feet when it's dry. Likely, that is the problem. 6 rods is plenty.....if they are in deep.

Gotcha.. When you say run ground wires with the hot wires what exactly do you mean? The rods are 8' long and driven till about 4 inches above the dirt.

skyhightree1":335s311z said:
dun":335s311z said:

Ok I gotcha thanks

Farm Fence Solutions":335s311z said:

Gotcha.. When you say run ground wires with the hot wires what exactly do you mean? The rods are 8' long and driven till about 4 inches above the dirt.
Most likely he means run 2 wires parallel to each other about a foot or so apart, one hot one ground.
Before doing that I would hook up a different charger and check the wire for a short somewhere. I've also found that the testers that have the ground wire that you stick in the dirt will give a more accuarte reading sometimes. That will be the true value reaching the animal. In this case it wouldn;t do anything for you though.

skyhightree1":3aqumhih said:
dun":3aqumhih said:

Ok I gotcha thanks

Farm Fence Solutions":3aqumhih said:

A ground wire would be installed in similar fashion to a hot wire.....except it's connected to the grounded side. On a 6 strand, for instance, we would make the even wires hot, and tie all the odd wires to the ground rods. When a calf reached his head through, he'll touch both wires and complete the circuit.

We have even run temporary fence without ground rods. Just run straight back to the charger with the ground wire. No protection against lightning with that setup though....Not that a ground rod will stop it.

Farm Fence Solutions":1461lwmi said:
skyhightree1":1461lwmi said:
dun":1461lwmi said:

Ok I gotcha thanks

Farm Fence Solutions":1461lwmi said:

A ground wire would be installed in similar fashion to a hot wire.....except it's connected to the grounded side. On a 6 strand, for instance, we would make the even wires hot, and tie all the odd wires to the ground rods. When a calf reached his head through, he'll touch both wires and complete the circuit.

Thanks yall I understand now so basically tie the bottom strand of the fence into the box and then have the wire up from that hooked to the hot side

skyhightree1":3mh3yrjb said:
Thanks yall I understand now so basically tie the bottom strand of the fence into the box and then have the wire up from that hooked to the hot side
As long as the wire "up from that" is insulated. Sorry, just restating the obvious.

As was said, soaking the soil around the rods doesn't help much in drought times. The soil around the rod becomes conductive, but 20' away from the wet area into dryness and the resistance to the pulse's current flow skyrockets up near infinity.
I'm sure you know this, but the shock doesn't take place until that pulse makes it back (at near light speed) to the negative terminal on the circuit board of the charger.

Lots of people think all that has to happen is the pulse has to go thru the animal and into ground, but not true if moisture isn't present in the soil.
The soil, from the point where the animal touches the hot wire, all the way back to the rod itself, and up the charger's clip-on wire to it's negative terminal on the circuit board all make up 1/2 the circuit--the return pulse circuit..the animal is also part of the return circuit. (Actually, it's the moisture in the soil that makes up most of the return circuit)

If you check it in the early morning when a heavy dew is on the ground, don't be surprised to find the system is working right, but by mid day, when the surface moisture is gone from the grass, there is nothing to conduct the return pulse.

Adding a 2nd or 3rd wire all the way along the fence tied only to the charger's negative terminal takes the dry soil out of the circuit, and takes the place of the soil as a return path to the charger's neg side. The animal does have to touch both the hot wire and the ground wire tho.

If you do it right, when rain returns, the system will work as a conventional system, with the wet soil again becoming part of the return circuit and the animal only has to touch the hot wire. At the bottom of this post is but one of several ways to do it.

I have one area, that no matter how dry it gets, always works on a conventional set up. That's because it's red clay--remnants of iron ore all the way to surface. It conducts that return pulse wet or dry..the iron particles are the conductor..

Thanks GB

I got a call from sheriff office calves were out so I went and fooled with the fence.made those changes most I got out out of it were a little over 2000 volts last I checked but found a limb on the fence pushing wire onto the t post shorting out a section so may have more volts I noticed that the ground is cracking open to.

I've sold them for years and swear by them, but I had to buy a Speedrite s500 and I've gotten into it twice.
The last time was through my pants and boot top, but it got me good.

As solar chargers go parmak is tried and true but the Sperdrite S500 is a hot a SOB

skyhightree1":2y269vb8 said:
Thanks GB

I got a call from sheriff office calves were out so I went and fooled with the fence.made those changes most I got out out of it were a little over 2000 volts last I checked but found a limb on the fence pushing wire onto the t post shorting out a section so may have more volts I noticed that the ground is cracking open to.
After you cleared the short to ground (T-post) did you check the wire voltage

Also, I highly recommend a digital fence tester like Gallaghers smart Fix tester. It has a Amp reading that tells you how many amps is going thru the fence....thus a short.
My Taylor fence charger was acting funny the other day.....only blinking on every other click....its supposed to blink on every click. My first thought was it was tore up, but then I put my tester on the fence it and was showing 40 amps.
I was able to run it down and the fence had somehow gotten off the insulater and was against the steel post. Put an insulator on it and problem solved. Now it blinks on every click....and my voltage reading came way up.
If you got a lot of fence it is a must have IMO.

dun":1zmhhsx1 said:
skyhightree1":1zmhhsx1 said:
Thanks GB

After you cleared the short to ground (T-post) did you check the wire voltage

Checked it this morning is right at 2700

Latest posts