Parents driving their kids to school

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":2i0mgfhq said:
M.Magis":2i0mgfhq said:
This just might be the dumbest "discussion" I've seen on CT.

We had an argument not long ago about how to properly brace a corner post. I thought it was pretty stupid (everybody should know angled is better :D ). I believe this one is actually a tick dumber.

Carry on

It's been a rough morning around here, so thanks for that. I needed a good laugh......angled strut better than a proper H brace... :lol:

It never ceases to amaze me at what some people can get all spun up about!

Farm Fence Solutions":166pu1ng said:
Bigfoot":166pu1ng said:
M.Magis":166pu1ng said:
This just might be the dumbest "discussion" I've seen on CT.

We had an argument not long ago about how to properly brace a corner post. I thought it was pretty stupid (everybody should know angled is better :D ). I believe this one is actually a tick dumber.

Carry on

It's been a rough morning around here, so thanks for that. I needed a good laugh......angled strut better than a proper H brace... :lol:

You ought to have been there. If I remember correctly. My family heritage was insulted... ;-)

callmefence":5r63sekm said:
Farm Fence Solutions":5r63sekm said:
Bigfoot":5r63sekm said:

Carry on

You ought to have been there. If I remember correctly. My family heritage was insulted... ;-)

I can just imagine what it was like. I got myself into one of those "discussions" with a couple of Scotsmen, an Irish guy, an English salesman, and a Welch fella. We let the Welch fella win, but he was wrong! :lol: It would be easier to teach trigonometry to third graders than it was to explain frost heave that day.

All the schools systems around us were on a 2 hour delay this morning, but not ours. Buses were on the road during 3 active warnings. I was glad mine could wait it out.

Bigfoot":18yvorus said:
All the schools systems around us were on a 2 hour delay this morning, but not ours. Buses were on the road during 3 active warnings. I was glad mine could wait it out.
You didn't drive them? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jogeephus":2ze3zz6e said:
We used to have schools scattered all over the county and no child had to sit on a bus or even ride a bus for very long. The department of education sold the school board and the taxpayers on the idea of closing all these small schools and building larger more centralized schools because they would be more efficient. And more importantly to some, the bigger the school the better the football program. None of this ever panned out. I think they were figuring using that new math. The cost of running these larger schools has proved anything but cheap and the children have to spend a long time on the busses and our football program still sucks but the principals and vice-principles and assistant vice principals are making some serious money.

ding ding ding. Consolidation is what has caused it around here. To "save" money. Nieces and nephews spend a quarter of their waking hours on the bus. Lots of parents will run a neighborhood car pool.
Of course, some of these kids could use the exercise :hide:

boondocks":er8sxoie said:
Jogeephus":er8sxoie said:
We used to have schools scattered all over the county and no child had to sit on a bus or even ride a bus for very long. The department of education sold the school board and the taxpayers on the idea of closing all these small schools and building larger more centralized schools because they would be more efficient. And more importantly to some, the bigger the school the better the football program. None of this ever panned out. I think they were figuring using that new math. The cost of running these larger schools has proved anything but cheap and the children have to spend a long time on the busses and our football program still sucks but the principals and vice-principles and assistant vice principals are making some serious money.

ding ding ding. Consolidation is what has caused it around here. To "save" money. Nieces and nephews spend a quarter of their waking hours on the bus. Lots of parents will run a neighborhood car pool.
Of course, some of these kids could use the exercise :hide:

And to make matters worse we run the buses twice in the afternoon due to the after school program where the school babysits some children. On my way home last night I saw three buses and that was at 8 p.m. Those poor kids but I guess it could be argued they are better off at school than in their homes or whatever house they stay at. While driving I also heard the Humane Society's recent barrage of advertisements on the need to neuter companion animals and couldn't help but think we as a society care more for animal than we do children.

Jogeephus":1uye65yn said:
While driving I also heard the Humane Society's recent barrage of advertisements on the need to neuter companion animals and couldn't help but think we as a society care more for animal than we do children.
I think neutering some of the parents would be a good idea.

dun":32li4q31 said:
Jogeephus":32li4q31 said:
While driving I also heard the Humane Society's recent barrage of advertisements on the need to neuter companion animals and couldn't help but think we as a society care more for animal than we do children.

I do to. I don't mean to sound mean but some of these kids don't have a chance and I think bringing them into this world is nothing less than cruel.

Jogeephus":1qlayjjb said:
dun":1qlayjjb said:
Jogeephus":1qlayjjb said:

I do to. I don't mean to sound mean but some of these kids don't have a chance and I think bringing them into this world is nothing less than cruel.

That's why I'm pro birth control. Put it in the water, give it away at the DMV, give everyone under 21 who will get LARC (use the google ;) a Walmart gift card...do whatever it takes...oh yeah, and come up with a male pill :banana:

boondocks":fsu9frfh said:
Jogeephus":fsu9frfh said:
dun":fsu9frfh said:

That's why I'm pro birth control. Put it in the water, give it away at the DMV, give everyone under 21 who will get LARC (use the google ;) a Walmart gift card...do whatever it takes...oh yeah, and come up with a male pill :banana:
I even propose that retroactive birth control should be an option when I see how some kids behave/are raised.

Every morning my wife and our 17 year old twins get in 3 different vehicles and drive to the same school, that starts at the same time. Thing is,our son leaves there at 11:45 and drives 12 miles to vo-tech in another town (no bus service) - he gets out at 3:00 and home at 3:30 most days, unless there's an FFA or robotics activity. Our daughter gets out at 3:30 but between cheerleading, archery, trap shooting and FFA (she's the chapter president), she might get here at 3:45 or it might be 10 pm (she's very good about letting us know where she is and calls when she's headed home if it's late). Their mom is supposed to stay at school 'til 4, most days it's later, sometimes a lot later. Seems like it should be simple enough to ride to school together, but it just hardly ever works. Yes, they did ride to school with her when they were younger, but she worked there, so...

There are just so many more activities and expectations for kids these days, and even working parents rarely work 8-5, 5 days a week like when most of us were growing up. Are some of us spoiling our kids - prob'ly so, but there are some legitimate reasons for driving them to school. If anyone's unhappy about the education our kids are getting let's talk about a system that's so busy teaching for a handful of government required tests that there's no longer time or resources to teach practical life skills.

And yes my kids drive their own vehicles. They're far from new, and they bought and paid for them with money from their own cows/FFA projects. They could afford nicer ones, but it's not time for that yet. They buy their own gas, too.

I walked to school everyday the first 8 years. School was just across the street (flat ground too). Rode school bus everyday during HS, played football and coach would take us home after practice and games in the school car which was a 1950 Chevy 4 door sedan (Army surplus) so you know it was O.D. green. Very few cars at the HS at all as everyone either walked or rode buses. Hitchhiked first 2 years of college if I came home and finally got a used VW bug my junior year. 40 MPG gas and 55 MPH max speed. What a ride.

How was that VW heater TB?
Yep, I know--a heater in name only.
Good thing you lived in Texas and not up nawth...

greybeard":31ogmwl6 said:
How was that VW heater TB?
Yep, I know--a heater in name only.
Good thing you lived in Texas and not up nawth...
Very true. Had a knob in the floorboard you turned to open and close and get heat. What heat came out of it literally seeped into the car. No blower.

I didn't read all the replies, by more parents work outside the home/farm than in the past. It may be a lot more convenient for many of those parents to drop their kids off on the way to work than to wait for the bus.

Caustic Burno":1ucjzg81 said:
Congratulations Sky your generation is the first that their children's life expectancy is shorter than their parents. Also my taxes have to pay for acres of concrete for pansy be nice kids to drive their truck that mommy and daddy buy along with the insurance.
All the while still having to pay taxes for
diesel and maintain a fleet of half empty buses.
No this isn't 50 years ago not everything has improved the educational system is a joke most graduauating illiterate children.
The USA school system peaked in the 50's and 60's fueled by the Montgomery GI bill we ranked non 1.
Your kids may be able to drive to school your graduating dummies now ranked in the mid 20's out of the top fifty country.
Congratulations you taught a generation to drive but not how to learn then again that requires parental participation.

You are wrong about your life expectancy statement. Life expectancies have decreased several times in the last 50 years. Most recently in 1993 (besides 2016). They have all been just a small blip that changed for the better right away.