Parents driving their kids to school

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Do a large number of parents in your area take and pick up their kids from school every day?

In my area, they do, and that is a huge cultural change from when I was in school in the 70s and 80s. It's probably been going on now longer than it seems, but once I gave it some thought, my question is, "why?"

I live in a rural area where traffic isn't exactly New York City, but during a brief window of time in the mornings and evenings, traffic is like a madhouse due to parents transporting their kids. In the last few years, people will come in complaining about traffic before and after school, and it raises the question, "why the heck are so many parents taking and picking up their kids from school these days?"

Congestion has gotten so bad, schools have designated lanes as "parent drop-off" and "parent pick-up" to divert them from bus lanes.

When I was a student, nobody took their child to school and picked them up every day; they rode the bus. The only time anybody got picked up was if they had an appointment or something out of the ordinary was going on with the family schedule that day.

How do people have time? Do they not work? Why would they want to even if they had time?

It is a cultural shift that I can't fathom as the yellow bus still runs the route costing taxpayers.
They actually line up an hour before school lets out sitting in an idling vehicle waiting on the kid.

I wonder that my self.

What I find a bit annoying, is the tax dollars paying for the busses and seeing them not even half-filled, yet long lines of cars going into the schools.

Heck, when I was younger, even if I missed the bus (at the bust stop) I would have to walk or ride my bike to school, no way was Mom going to carry me there!

Mine don't ride the bus. They can sleep an hour later, and get home an hour earlier. Each has its benefits.

Bigfoot":3p98vw4c said:
Mine don't ride the bus. They can sleep an hour later, and get home an hour earlier. Each has its benefits.
Boy times have changed in our house you got up when my parents did came fully dressed hair combed and sat at the breakfast table. Didn't matter if it was summer or winter if you didn't have school your had chores. I was glad to walk to the bus stop that sure as heck beat hoeing the garden or using that old push plow that is hung in my barn.

I don't know what it looks like of the morning in my district/local school, but I had a "friend" who tells about his sister in law and bil by marriage that takes there kids, or more likely their parents (kids grandparents) do. Kids sometimes do ride the bus home, to their little hamlet of a town, pop. about two hundred probably. When they do get off the bus, some one is there waiting on them to take them to the house, about two blocks. Takes them lunch to school sometimes because they don't like the school lunch. Kids do sometimes take their lunch supposedly. Unbelievable.

Brute 23":1os5p4ne said:
Our county is pretty spread out. Some kids have to ride an hour and a half before and after school. That's pretty rediculous.
That's the way it is here too.

Agree with Brute.
Don't know what can be done about it but a lot of it came about by busing the kids to other schools to insure integration of races.
Every time I see one of those yellow buses my heart just goes out to those kids.

In my early school years some of the most awful times of my life were spent on that yellow school bus. What they now term bullying turned into torture.
When I got up bigger and learned to fight the picking on and hurting little kids stopped. I saw to it.

dun":qnuuhxqw said:
Brute 23":qnuuhxqw said:
Our county is pretty spread out. Some kids have to ride an hour and a half before and after school. That's pretty rediculous.

Same here so we pick up and drop off 50% of the time.. It's ridiculous to be on bus that long need more schools here.

Wife picks ours up and drops them off. Kids k through 12 ride the same bus . I didn't want the kids around high-school kids when they were 8

I know a buddy of mine they pick up their kids cause it takes so long to get home on the bus. He says kids have so much homework then take care of their animals if they didn't pick them up it would be homework, chores, dinner, and then bed no time for kids to have fun or family time. I heard a lady complaining about the bus is so early her kids have to go out and wait in the dark for it in the morning and the bus stop is a good ways from their house. I think the more you see kids being taken while waiting on the bus or walking home after getting off the buses the more you will see parents taking them to school and picking them up to make sure they are safe. We live in a different world now days lots of weirdos who prey on children.

We used to have schools scattered all over the county and no child had to sit on a bus or even ride a bus for very long. The department of education sold the school board and the taxpayers on the idea of closing all these small schools and building larger more centralized schools because they would be more efficient. And more importantly to some, the bigger the school the better the football program. None of this ever panned out. I think they were figuring using that new math. The cost of running these larger schools has proved anything but cheap and the children have to spend a long time on the busses and our football program still sucks but the principals and vice-principles and assistant vice principals are making some serious money.

skyhightree1":3kcs78h2 said:
dun":3kcs78h2 said:
Brute 23":3kcs78h2 said:

Same here so we pick up and drop off 50% of the time.. It's ridiculous to be on bus that long need more schools here.

Nothing has changed about the ride time it actually is the same to shorter in an AC bus to an AC school. Why is it ridiculous for them to be with their peers riding a taxpayer funded transportation to and from school. We wonder why we are
getting snowflakes. Just like go to a HS parking lot and look at all the cars mommy and daddy bought brand new.
Mom and Dad didn't have a car a piece when I was growing up neither did the majority of families.

Riding with their peers!!!!
We always laugh and say riding the school bus was torture until you got big enough to do the torturing.
School buses were meant to be survived.
CB, what is wrong that the younger generation is doing so much better than you. They have nothing that you didn't wish you had when you were young.
I am proud that my kids are gonna' be able to afford the things for their kids that I always wished I had.
I tell people to not pull the "everything's on credit and they're spoiling the kids", thing on me.
That is not always true.
2 of my 3 kids went to college and could buy a new car and pay cash about anytime they wanted. gs

all i know is these school taxes are insane.. now they want to do some new levy thats INCOME BASED.

What in the world is that?!?!?! so all the poor people will vote it in.. and I'll be the one paying@!!!!!!

for me gage has to get on the bus looong after im gone to work..so he gets hauled in to before school program and then after school also..so I have to do the hauling myself...
lots of people here do it also because they wont let their 8 yr old walk a mile to school in the dark..here that's the deal..in town in a neighborhood they have to walk a long way by them selves..
even if gage had to walk id find another way..it just aint safe for a 10 yr old to walk to school at 730 am by himself for 20 30 mins
things aint what they used to be...they just aint...
probly 400 cars in line here at school...it gets out at 3pm but they start lining up at 2..cuz soccer moms got their phones...and a lot of em got nothing else to do

Jogeephus":1h0ddbk3 said:
We used to have schools scattered all over the county and no child had to sit on a bus or even ride a bus for very long. The department of education sold the school board and the taxpayers on the idea of closing all these small schools and building larger more centralized schools because they would be more efficient. And more importantly to some, the bigger the school the better the football program. None of this ever panned out. I think they were figuring using that new math. The cost of running these larger schools has proved anything but cheap and the children have to spend a long time on the buses and our football program still sucks but the principals and vice-principles and assistant vice principals are making some serious money.
Jo you hit my sore spot regarding public education. Schools are monstrosities creating monsters. These giant schools breed all the cliques that divide our children and in turn divide our nation. The trend toward giant schools needs to be reversed. Small schools serve us much better, and are more accountable.

BTW - I lived as far from my school as possible and be in that district. I had a looong bus ride. I learned a little about life in the back of that bus. :cowboy:

Latest posts