Parasites,worms..

Help Support CattleToday:

Most of the nemotade parasites of cattle follow a similar lifecycle. The larvae reinfect the host when they are consumed like those in that droplet.

Never had issues with tape worms before but while rounding up calves to wean this fall noticed something white hanging from the butt of a calf while he was walking but by the time I got close enough to get a better look it was gone. Well we sorted the calves off and while walking in the corral saw a really loose stool with a couple white strands in it and wouldn't you know they were 2 decent sized tape worms so now knew what I had saw and which calf had them. Watched the other calves stools closely while working them that day and didn't notice any worms in them. Talked to our vet and your typical pour ons have no effect on tape worms so he recommended a medicated feed you can buy that will kill the worms off in just 1 feeding so bought a bag and fed it to the entire group of calves. Surprisingly the tape worms didn't affect the calf's performance as he was one of the heaviest bull calves at weaning and still growing at a good pace so we must have caught it just at the right time.

Considering how many parasites are probably in the creek waters, ponds, or whatever watering holes we all use it's surprising that we don't see more issues with parasites than we do.

Had one early weaned heifer that seemed to want to die years ago. Put the old mama back in with her and saw a bit of recovery but not much. Wormed the calf and she was apparently overdosed on tapeworms as there was a lot of evidence for several days in the lot. Weaned her again and never another problem. Never before and never since.

Couldn't see the pic you've shared with us here, unfortunately.
Speaking about parasites, keep in mind that providing the best treatment against parasites consists of identification and stoppage of the source of infection, disposal of the parasites, and the application of a symptomatic treatment, based on the evolution of the infection. I would advise taking fenbendazole 222mg capsules. It is a benzimidazole compound with broad antiparasitic spectrum use in various animals. Basically, it stops the development of parasites.

donjuni,
I suspect that it looked very much like the below. Third-stage nematode larvae in a droplet of dew on the grass.
The vast majority of nematode parasites infect grazing animals by them consuming their larval stages on moisture film on the grass - and most are in the 4-6 inches above the soil surface.
ChLbuCL5KqxezkAYqw4Wytq321WOTlfty5mhcoxElnZp4mBvSevs1GZIvvvwB3afCynk-UitKRUQlpZDGytXaX3PuDZ8O_6xwsKhCBHiNMM

Latest posts